Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet

I cut my cable and phone today. I am left with 300 MB Spectrum service. I just bought the Apple TV 4K and streaming via WiFi successfully. My question is this; can I make a connection through my coaxial to an Ethernet which will allow me to hard wire to Apple TV? If so, suggestions on how to go from Coax to Ethernet.

TIA 🙂

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 5:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 6:25 PM

Yes, in some cases a wired ethernet connection is faster than Wifi. but unless you have a lot of interference between the modem and the Apple TV, you're not likely to see a major increase in speed.

The coaxial on its own will not give you internet access. You need to the modem to provide the internet access. It connects to your provider's servers and authenticates your account and settings so they give you internet access. Without it the coaxial will do nothing. If it worked any other way, the modem would not be necessary.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2017 6:25 PM in response to Wingo22

Yes, in some cases a wired ethernet connection is faster than Wifi. but unless you have a lot of interference between the modem and the Apple TV, you're not likely to see a major increase in speed.

The coaxial on its own will not give you internet access. You need to the modem to provide the internet access. It connects to your provider's servers and authenticates your account and settings so they give you internet access. Without it the coaxial will do nothing. If it worked any other way, the modem would not be necessary.

Nov 12, 2017 5:35 PM in response to Phil0124

I was under the impression that a hard wire is a much faster speed then WiFi. At this location I will be removing the cable box and just left with the coax. Am I not going to get a faster connection by running an Ethernet into the Apple TV, or am I incorrect thinking that a coax to Ethernet is giving me the connection? The modem is in another room (Internet only)?

Ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.