Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail App crashes computer on start up

Mail App Crashes computer on Start up.

I have been having problems with the Mail app for some time. There has been an email in the outbox which i have repeatedly deleted and when I restart the email returns to my outbox. I cannot send nor delete the email. The app keeps giving a message that it is sending mail. I have to force quit the mail application so that I can use my computer. I would like to know how I can delete the mail app all together. I can use Outlook but this issue has been occurring since 24 December 2016. I have other user names in my computer but they don't have the email in the outbox and the computer doesn't crash on start up. I have scanned the email with a number of virus scanners and there appears to be nothing wrong with it so far as viruses or malware etc. My computer is not slow. I have 32gb of ram installed. My internet connection is no problem.

How do I delete the mail App!!!!

null-OTHER

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 9:40 PM

1 reply

Nov 13, 2017 12:46 PM in response to jenniemcc2

You can't delete the Mail application as it is part of the OS.

Quit Mail.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Go to Library/Containers/com.apple.mail. Move the folder com.apple.mail to your desktop. You must move the entire folder, not just the contents.

Restart, re-launch Mail and test. If the problem is solved, recreate any required Mail settings and import any emails you want to save from the folder on the desktop. You can then put the folder in the Trash. If the problem remains, return the folder to where you got it replacing the one that is there.

If that doesn’t solve it repeat the above using Containers/com.apple.MailServiceAgent.

Information learned from Linc Davis. Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Mail crashing

Crashes/quits unexpectedly

To try to find the e-mail that won't delete, go to your User Library/Mail. Select the bottom V number and look for the e-mail in there.

Yosemite is V2, El Capitan is V3, Sierra is V4, and High Sierra is V5.

Mail App crashes computer on start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.