Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple IPhone X Face ID Horizontally

Hi,

Why Apple Face ID does not work when it is held horizontally? When I read something holding iPhone horizontally and if I don’t tap it for while then it goes to sleep. I have to everyone hold the phone vertically to unlock it again. Touch ID was more flexible. Can this be changed in the future IOS updates? Thanks

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 12:22 AM

1 reply

Nov 13, 2017 1:18 AM in response to gsingh03

FaceID uses a camera at the left to look a a pattern of dots projected onto the face from the right. The pattern is determined by the 3D contors of the face. Projecting from the top or bottom would generate very different patterns.

The recognition algorithms rely of certain common facial features being illuminated from the right side and may not work reliably with other orientations. This may change in the future, especially if the technology is added to iPads, which don't have a preferred orientation.

Apple IPhone X Face ID Horizontally

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.