Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scam Subscriptions

Why does apple allow apps to be sold on the App Store that are directly aimed at children, but have a subscription of 45.99 a WEEK! My daughter downloaded a free app and without warning was entered in to a subscription for over 180 pounds per month! The app in question is ColorDream, a simple colouring app. She was completely unaware (she is tech savvy) and had the credit card details been up to date on her account she would have been charged. Luckily there was an e-mail saying 'payment failed'

This type of "legitimate" scam was brought to my attention last night by my other daughter, who has also been a victim. The app asked her to subscribe (a different one, a jigsaw app) but she went to click off it, pressing the home button, which authorised it as it recognised her fingerprint for payment. She canceled that straight away.

I thought more of Apple. I've always trusted the App store, thinking you check apps for scams like these, but this is terrible and I guess its back to not allowing any apps to be downloaded until I check if each one is a trap.

Rik

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 1:32 AM

8 replies

Nov 13, 2017 3:27 AM in response to seventy one

So I was right..... Apple said the pricing was out of their control and there has been no wrong doing. (legitimate scam)

In other words, let the stupid people get caught out.

Thanks Apple, zero trust in the app store now. Micro transactions caught lots of people out, but at least you had to purchase these each time. Astronomical Subscriptions ($235 a month to do a jigsaw) are the next trap Apple are happy to let app devs lay for you now.

Carefull people.

Nov 13, 2017 4:18 AM in response to LankyRik

I would suggest you should tone down your approach if you do write to Apple HQ. You will be hoping for their help and concern and they may not be aware if; for example, the developer has changed the terms, in the form of an update.

I don't know what kind of $s you are talking about but I have a 'Jigsaw' App from the App store and the charges for monthly subscription are minimal. Do you mean $US?

Nov 13, 2017 5:20 AM in response to seventy one

Yes, US$. i'm in the uk, the price is 180GBP, roughly 235USD per month. Jigsaw Master and ColorDream Pro are the 2 apps. I am angry at the moment as the chat I had said there is nothing wrong with these price points. It is up to the subscribers. My daughter panicked and clicked off the app by pressing the home button, which authorised the subscription due to fingerprint ID. Luckily we have brought our kids up to be wary of the internet. I just thought Apple protected its customers from this kind of thing.

Scam Subscriptions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.