Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 plus factory reset when home button doesn't work

Hi, How can I do a factory reset on my iphone 7 plus when the physical home button is broken? After reset on the "Hello" screen you need to press the home button to continue.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11.0.3, Physical home button broken

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 2:16 AM

21 replies

Nov 14, 2017 9:49 AM in response to ajondyh

Unless the issue with the home button was caused by an external factor, such as accidental damage, or user mishandling of the device and the iphone is still in warranty, Apple will surely repair the home button for free.

If it was caused by an external force, then Apple can repair it for a fee. This fee is much much less than what a new iPhone would cost.

iPhone Service Pricing - Apple Support

If you have Apple Care+ on the iPhone it is even less still.

Either way, there are options that would not require you to buy a new iPhone.

Nov 14, 2017 10:21 AM in response to Phil0124

Thanks Phil0124, I'm aware of their pricing. The phone also has a very slightly damaged screen so the total cost in UK by Apple would be just over 500GBP Hardly worth it I'd say for a 12 month old phone. Just seems stupidity it can't be re set without the home button. From what I read the home button stopped working seems to be a common problem as well. Maybe Apples way of diminishing the used market 😠

Nov 14, 2017 11:44 AM in response to ajondyh

ajondyh wrote:

Just seems stupidity it can't be re set without the home button. 😠

Why? It's an important part of the device. It would be like saying its stupid I can't use my iPhone without a screen, or a battery? It's a very important part of the iPhone, and it relies on it to work correctly.

ajondyh wrote:

From what I read the home button stopped working seems to be a common problem as well. Maybe Apples way of diminishing the used market 😠

I doubt it. I've owned Apple devices for the better part of 20 years, and devices with home buttons since the first gen iPod touch was released in 2007. I've never had a home button ever fail on me. I had the power button on my iPhone 5 fail, and that was subject to a recall by Apple when they found out about it. If anything Apple is one of the best companies out there when dealing with issues that affect a large amount of devices. They offer recalls, some several years after the warranty is over, and still repair it for free.

For whatever its worth, the iPhone X no longer has a home button, but still relies on at least one external button to work.

Nov 14, 2017 12:01 PM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124 wrote:

Why? It's an important part of the device. It would be like saying its stupid I can't use my iPhone without a screen, or a battery? It's a very important part of the iPhone, and it relies on it to work correctly.

I wonder why then did Apple make a virtual home button? You do not need the physical button when using the phone normally so your analogies are unfounded.

It would also seem that Apple expected there to be some problems with the "New" type home button on the 7 plus, why else would they have installed the virtual button.

For interest I also have had iPhones since the iPhone 4 and also still have a 1st generation iPad. I'm just saying there should be a way to reset the phone without the physical home button or at least a warning not to reset as the physical button is not working. The phone knows this because if you do a hard re boot on the first screen it tells you the Home button is not functioning and applies the virtual button.

Nov 14, 2017 2:07 PM in response to ajondyh

ajondyh wrote:

I wonder why then did Apple make a virtual home button? You do not need the physical button when using the phone normally so your analogies are unfounded.

It would also seem that Apple expected there to be some problems with the "New" type home button on the 7 plus, why else would they have installed the virtual button.

The "virtual" home button that you speak of has nothing to do with what you are speaking of. That was designed as an accessibility feature for those disabled individuals that have difficulty with pushing a physical button. Don't try and make something like that as a excuse for you to argue the home button. It was never designed as a replacement for the home button for anyone else. There was no expectation for problems with the new button, as indicated earlier, the Assistive Touch is a disability setting, released a long time before the buttonless design of the iPhone 7. The warning you received is telling you the button is malfunctioning and it is time to get it fixed. The home button has been an integral part of the Apple ecosystem for years.

Nov 14, 2017 2:19 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Do some homework before you reply spouting the Apple excuse book please...... There are hosts of people having trouble with the physical home button on 7 plus phones, and your excuse of it being for people who can't push a physical button doesn't work either as it's NOT a mechanical push button and takes no effort just a touch. Also there are 3 other PUSH buttons which have no virtual options. Doesn't wash with me sorry. Home button was always a push button up until recent so that argument is also void.

Nov 14, 2017 2:25 PM in response to ajondyh

How much is a "host"? Since Apple went to the virtual home button complaints of broken home buttons have slowed to a trickle. Those that have had them fail are the result of someone physically damaging it and since you stated you also have a damaged screen I would guess that is how yours was broken. Besides being tied to the security enclave the home button is also tied to the screen which is why they told you that both needed to be replaced. If you want to forego using your home button for Touch ID you can find a cheaper repair price.

Nov 14, 2017 2:39 PM in response to ajondyh

You were the one that created the excuse, not me. The assistive touch was designed a long time ago. The piece that you are speaking of is a temporary fix for someone who's home button has failed so you can get the phone fixed. That is where you failed by resetting the phone before having Apple repair the button. Don't tell me to do my homework, I've got a lot more experience than you in this, and I've taken the time to understand how these devices work before I go off blindly and do things. Your home button is broken, deal with it and get if fixed, or replace your phone.

iPhone 7 plus factory reset when home button doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.