Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: High Sierra doesn’t remember showing Mail in classic view

I prefer using Mail in ”classic view”. High Sierra still allows this in Mail Preferences but every time I open Mail it defaults to “modern” view.

Very irritating!

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Sorry to tell you this but no such thing in mail and property lists but I would like you to try dumping a folder in ~/Library called “saved application state”

Just make sure all apps are closed and Reboot the machine.

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 13, 2017 1:15 AM in response to Michael Paine In response to Michael Paine

When setting it to classic view try close mail preferences then quit mail by selecting the mail menu next to the apple logo and hitting quit. You can also try keyboard shortcuts by pressing cmd + Q.

This might also sound like a glitch but mail saves changed only when quitting and reopening.

Nov 13, 2017 1:15 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 13, 2017 2:34 PM in response to iLogger In response to iLogger

Thanks but I have been quitting Mail after changing prefs to Classic. The problem usually (but not always) comes back when I launch Mail again.

I may need to dump a Mail pref file - but don't know which one as I don't want to lose account information.

Nov 13, 2017 2:34 PM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Solved

Nov 13, 2017 4:22 PM in response to Michael Paine In response to Michael Paine

Sorry to tell you this but no such thing in mail and property lists but I would like you to try dumping a folder in ~/Library called “saved application state”

Just make sure all apps are closed and Reboot the machine.

Nov 13, 2017 4:22 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 13, 2017 4:41 PM in response to iLogger In response to iLogger

This will not damage or vanish any inboxes or valuable information to the accounts you have setup.

That important information is saved in

~/Library/mail/V5 So stay away from there.

Nov 13, 2017 4:41 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Michael Paine

Question: High Sierra doesn’t remember showing Mail in classic view