Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home network upgrade

Hi community!

On my home network I have an MBP with an SSD, a Mac mini with an HDD, a TimeCapsule that I connect to via AFP and a WD MyCloud network storage drive that I also connect to via AFP. Can someone please advise if I should upgrade both MACs to High Sierra? What are the risks? Which previous steps should I take?

Many thanks in advance!
Eduardo

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 2:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 5:48 AM

As always make sure your software is up to date. If you have any mission critical software check with the vendor to make sure it is compatible with High Sierra. Back up your computer before upgrading. Besides my TimeMachine backup, I like to make a clone before upgrading- this gives me the ability to instantly revert if disaster strikes. It isn't a requirement but it is a good idea. I also like to disconnect my TimeMachine backup just before upgrading because I see no reason for TimeMachine to begin backing up the new installation until I know it is stable and that I'm going to keep it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2017 5:48 AM in response to eduardonpinto

As always make sure your software is up to date. If you have any mission critical software check with the vendor to make sure it is compatible with High Sierra. Back up your computer before upgrading. Besides my TimeMachine backup, I like to make a clone before upgrading- this gives me the ability to instantly revert if disaster strikes. It isn't a requirement but it is a good idea. I also like to disconnect my TimeMachine backup just before upgrading because I see no reason for TimeMachine to begin backing up the new installation until I know it is stable and that I'm going to keep it.

Nov 13, 2017 6:43 AM in response to eduardonpinto

Hi Eduardo,

I highly recommend that you do NOT upgrade at this time. High Sierra has multitudes of issues regarding overall performance coupled with becoming very slow. I deeply regret upgrading to High Sierra.

You should monitor these conversations, and then upgrade when you have a good comfort level that High Sierra will perform as well as Sierra.

Nov 13, 2017 7:22 AM in response to eduardonpinto

First off, change over to SMB from AFP. SMB has been the default

network transfer protocol since Mavericks. You should see a performance

boost in network transfers.

As far as upgrading, do a little home work first. Check to make sure

any of the apps you use are compatible with High Sierra and if it may be

necessary to upgrade (meaning pay) to be compatible. You should also

do so with any third party hardware devices that you have.

Make sure at a very minimum (though it looks like you may already have)

to back up all data as anything could possibly go wrong with the upgrade

that have nothing to do with the upgrade itself.

In addition, though not necessary, it may be a good time to do some

housecleaning on your Mac like getting rid of apps you never use, archiving

data that you don't access everyday to external storage, etc.

As I started, switch over to SMB before anything.

Home network upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.