Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Face ID stop working randomly and I have to restart my phone to get it working since the update to 11.1?

Ever since I updated my iPhone X to update 11.1 my Face ID randomly stops working, major disappointment and issue. Please advise what can be done?

iPhone X, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 4:17 AM

1 reply

Nov 13, 2017 5:30 PM in response to Kkinley2

Hi Kkinley2,

It appears that you're experiencing a malfunction with the Face ID feature of your iPhone X. I want to help you get back to easily unlocking your device.

For help with Face ID, please follow along with the steps in this article:
Get help with Face ID on your iPhone X - Apple Support

First thing it'll have you do is update your iOS Version to 11.1.1 to ensure the latest software. Make sure you have a backup and do that first:
Update the iOS on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Follow the steps up to, and including, resetting Face ID.

Let me know if that helps. Tell me more about how Face ID has stopped working if the issue is still occurring. List any errors or messages you receive.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Why does Face ID stop working randomly and I have to restart my phone to get it working since the update to 11.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.