Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Retina sleep vs displaysleep

I notice lately my Macbook Pro Retina has lost its wifi connection when I wake the display after just a few minutes of "sleeping". Checking the Energy Saver prefs, this is the first time I realized the sleep settings are very different for the Retina model (perhaps also different with HDD vs SSD). There's no sleep setting, per se, only a display sleep setting. So I guess that means the two are tied together. That's not ideal for me as I want my display to sleep after five or ten minutes, but I don't want a full sleep where wifi disconnects.

Can I just do a pmset -b in Terminal and hope it sticks? Or is there any other way to accomplish this?

Thanks~

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 5:30 AM

6 replies

Nov 15, 2017 2:35 PM in response to robogobo

Well, first of all, different Mac OS versions have different behavior/options, so it would be helpful to provide details.

Having none, have you considered going to Sys Prefs > Energy Saver and adjusting your preferences there - both Battery and Power Adapter options are available.

User uploaded file

When you're done with that, go to Desktop & Screen Saver Pane and adjust the settings there.

Nov 16, 2017 11:17 AM in response to robogobo

Hello robogobo,

I recommend the Jiggler app: http://www.sticksoftware.com/software/Jiggler.html

As you have noticed, Apple is on a mission to remove these kinds of options from the interface. I used to use Jiggler many years ago on a regular basis when I had lots of work to do but didn't want the computer to go to sleep. And then I seemed to stop using it for a long time. Now, I find I'm using it much more again. Now that we have less control over sleeping, I find the computer goes to sleep at very inopportune times, like when I'm trying to download a 5 GB Xcode update.

I'm afraid there is no way to get a separate sleep control back.

Nov 16, 2017 11:09 AM in response to babowa

Running the latest and greatest 10.13.1.

As I said in my OP, "Checking the Energy Saver prefs, this is the first time I realized the sleep settings are very different for the Retina model (perhaps also different with HDD vs SSD). There's no sleep setting, per se, only a display sleep setting."

And as I said in my followup post, "I should add that I'm only speaking of sleep settings while on battery. It looks like the setting I need is just a checkbox while on power adapter."

I don't use a screen saver so I'm only concerned with what happens when the display sleeps.

Macbook Pro Retina sleep vs displaysleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.