Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen saver does not start

I have my screen saver set to initiate after 5 min of inactivity, but it often does not start. Often, overnight it will not start. I am not concerned about the screen, but do worry about security. Any ideas what is wrong and how to fix it?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 9:49 AM

In Finder click on Go in the menubar and then Go To Folder then enter this ~/Library/Preferences

from there look for the com.apple.systempreferences.plist and move it to the trash (don't empty yet)

Restart your mac open System Preferences and select the time for the screen saver to start.

Restart your mac, leave it for however long you set and see if there is an improvement on what it was like before.

Empty the trash when you are happy.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2017 9:49 AM in response to Lee Rodgers

In Finder click on Go in the menubar and then Go To Folder then enter this ~/Library/Preferences

from there look for the com.apple.systempreferences.plist and move it to the trash (don't empty yet)

Restart your mac open System Preferences and select the time for the screen saver to start.

Restart your mac, leave it for however long you set and see if there is an improvement on what it was like before.

Empty the trash when you are happy.

Screen saver does not start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.