Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the ethernet speed of the 4th gen Airport extreme?

Hi -

I realize that the 4th gen airport extreme states that it supports gigabit Ethernet but I haven't been able to hit that speed. I read somewhere that it goes up to 400mbps. Anyone reach gigabit on this model?

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 7:05 AM

8 replies

Nov 13, 2017 7:18 AM in response to erikras

The Ethernet speed will depend on whether the AirPort is set up as a router or as a bridge for the network. As a router, the AirPort might be able to route at 350-400 Mbps.

As a bridge, the AirPort can handle signals up to 1,000 Mbps, assuming that you can provide the AirPort with a 1,000 Mbps signal. I just checked the link speed from my Mac to one of the LAN <--> ports on the AirPort Extreme using a CAT5e Ethernet cable, and the link checked out right at 1,000 Mbps. I don't have an application handy to test actual throughput though, so if you are looking for that kind of number, another user will need to help out here.

Nov 13, 2017 7:38 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for the response. I currently have the 4th gen plugged into my Fios ONT (I have "gigabit" service with FIOS) and it is set in router mode (because the ONT can't provide IP addresses, etc). In router mode I never get more than 400 mbps. I have a newer Airport Extreme set in wifi bridge mode and that is what provides wifi in my house.

I asked the question because I installed the FIOS gateway router (provided by Verizon) and I would prefer to use my own. Perhaps I should buy a third party wired gigabit router (new one) to run my network.

Nov 13, 2017 8:28 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks. I love the simplicity of Apple products (they just work) but on the airprot front, seems like they aren't the best "technical" products in terms of performance.

What I am trying to figure out is this...I have FIOS with gigabit speed. I also have their Quantum Gateway and don't seem to get gig speed when connected to the router directly. Since I don't have TV through them, I can get my own router and was thinking about this on (Ubiquiti Networks - EdgeRouter™ Lite) - the question is whether or not it will be faster than the FIOS gateway (which I can't find any performance data on.

Nov 13, 2017 9:37 AM in response to erikras

.I have FIOS with gigabit speed

I think you really might have meant to say that the FIOS might have Gigabit Ethernet ports.

But, that does not tell you how it will perform as a router. I would expect the FIOS to be about the same, or less, as the AirPort Extreme that you have now, in terms of actual throughput.

If you check the Router Charts link that I provided, you will see that another Ubiquiti router.....which is about $350, and rated for Gigabit.....checked out at about the same speed as the AirPort Extreme. The Ubiquiti model that you mention above is about $100. It is possible.....but also unlikely.....that the $100 product will outperform the $350 model.

If you are considering the Ubiquiti that you mention, it might be a good idea to understand the store's return policy.....in case the router does not perform as well as you might hope.

Study the router charts, and choose one of the top 5-10 models if you are looking for speed.

Or, find other test reports from unbiased sources. Simply stated, in most cases you cannot trust the claims that are made by most manufacturers, because very few will even quote a throughput number.

Nov 13, 2017 9:38 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for the response. I have Verizon Fios and paying for gigabit speed. The router they provided purportedly has gigabit Ethernet speeds. However, I cannot find any third party speed tests. So you are right - hard to trust the manufacturer.

I just purchased the router mentioned above (great third party reviews) and I will play around with it. The router (or any router) provided by an ISP that does everything (TV, Wifi, ethernet) most likely isn't as good as a single purpose device.

Nov 13, 2017 10:45 AM in response to erikras

I will be interested in your findings as well. I am currently in-progress of slowing replacing my current network with Ubiquiti products. I have already switched-out two of my Apple base stations with Unifi APs and just ordered the Unifi Security Gateway (USG) and Unifi Switch to replace my Cisco hardware.

In my case, I'm trying to improve my local network as I reside in a rural area and depend on microwave Internet service at a "whopping" 10-15 Mbps down. However, I do have the ability to test throughput at selected points in my network, as well as, do data captures.

Your point about using a "single purpose device" is a good one. In the long run, networking hardware works best for what it is primarily designed for. We trade convenience for controllability. Ubiquiti offers products that can do both well.

What is the ethernet speed of the 4th gen Airport extreme?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.