Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calorie count and pulse way off.

Since updating my apple watch software, my calorie count and pulse readings have dropped dramatically, to the point I know they're wrong. Anyone else having this problem?

Apple Watch

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 6:59 AM

1 reply

Nov 13, 2017 7:07 AM in response to peconic

Hi

Calories

If, under watchOS 4.x, your exercise intensity levels are unchanged, but you are earning fewer Active calories, then the following steps may help:

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Check your personal information:

• Activity-related estimations depend, in part, on your personal information. To check that this is accurate:
    • On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Health > Edit - tap and adjust items, then tap on Done.

Check your Location Services settings:

• On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services:
    • Check that Location Services (the main setting at the top) is turned on.
    • In the list of apps beneath, check that Apple Watch Workout is set to While Using.
    • Also enable options under System Services including Motion Calibration & Distance, Wi-Fi Networking and Mobile Network Search.
    • If the settings are already enabled, try briefly turning them off and then back again.

Reset your existing calibration data and recalibrate your Apple Watch:

Check that you are wearing your Apple Watch sufficiently snugly on the top of your wrist:

• If your Apple Watch is worn too loosely, it can believe that it has been removed, causing activity to not be tracked.
  • For the best performance from your Apple Watch - including the most accurate readings from the heart rate sensor, which is used continually during workouts - be sure to wear your Apple Watch snugly (but not too tightly) during your workouts.
  • Apple suggests tightening your Apple Watch band before workouts and loosening it again afterwards:

More information:

Use the Activity app on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Work out with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Your heart rate. What it means, and where on Apple Watch you’ll find it. - Apple Support

Heart rate sensor

Apple advises that, even under ideal conditions, Apple Watch may not be able to record a reliable heart rate reading every time for everybody.

For the best performance from the heart rate sensor during workouts, ensure that you wear your Apple Watch snugly (but not too tightly) on the top of your wrist. Apple suggests that you consider tightening the band before starting a workout and loosening it again afterwards:

Wearing your Apple Watch - Apple Support

The sensor is likely to give better results for workouts that involve rhythmic (eg running) rather than irregular (eg boxing) movements. Other issues that can impact sensor performance include skin perfusion and wrist tattoos:

For any workouts that involve flexing your wrists (such as when lifting weights, for example), it may help to move your watch a little higher up your arm, away from the flexing joint.

It may also help to check that the back of your Apple Watch is clean (along with your wrist, which I'm sure is the case):

Cleaning your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you experience issues with recording your heart rate during workouts, then, for more consistent readings, you may wish to consider pairing an external heart rate monitor / Bluetooth chest strap to your Apple Watch:

Use Bluetooth accessories with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Both

If you are concerned about a possible hardware defect with your Apple Watch, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Calorie count and pulse way off.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.