Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Selecting screensaver in profile manager

Hi,

I would like to use "Word of the day" as screen server for a lab with student iMacs. But trying to set it in Profile Managers Login Window settings will not work. The screensaver selected instead will be "FloatingMessage.saver". The default is Flurry.saver.

I guess it has to do with specifying the chosen Screen Saver as a path. It works with all the ones with no spaces in the name, but not with /System/Library/Screen Savers/Word of the Day.qtz as it contains spaces.

Anoyone who knows how to convert the string so that Profile manager understands it?

Xserve, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 7:50 AM

3 replies

Nov 14, 2017 12:28 PM in response to mscott_mdm

I notice that iTunes Artwork.saver also doesn't work. That kinda makes sense, as the iTunes folder is located in a user's home directory, which isn't defined in Login Window. It might be that WOTD also requires a user to be logged in to work. Maybe because it doesn't know what dictionary to use otherwise?

(Of course, "iTunes Artwork.saver" is the only other default screen saver with a space in it's filename, too, so it could also still be the spaces theory, but I doubt it.)

Nov 14, 2017 12:54 PM in response to mscott_mdm

Well, as for now I have selected Arabesque.qtz, just to see if the format was a problem, and that works. So two theories left: The space problem (I have tried "/System/Library/Screen\ Savers/Word\ of\ the\ Day.qtz" of cause, but no luck). Or the theory that no user might be logged in. When I was using Workgroup Manager, I used "Word of the Day" as screen saver with no problem. Now, if I refer to Word of the Day, it will run "FloatingMessage.saver" instead - which lead me to the conclusion that the interpretation of the string was the problem.

Selecting screensaver in profile manager

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.