Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine in High Sierra

Good morning

I have 500GB to back up in my initial time machine so don't expect it to do it all in one sitting. When I turn off the computer it starts from 0KB again instead of continuing on. I also have a 2TB external drive but it is showing 2 drives mounted, one saying Windows 1.37 TB free (it won't let me change the name) and the other saying backup disk 120.9 GB free

Time machine icon says its done 600 GB but I need to turn computer off and want backup to carry on when I log on again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Giles B

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 2:49 PM

I would start over.

It sounds like your external drive is partitioned and one partition is using either NTFS or some FAT version.. neither are suitable for TM backups which must be done to HFS+.

So step one.. assuming your disk has nothing on it you need.. open disk utility.. re-partition it and make sure you use GUID type. If you want multiple partitions is up to you.. but you obviously now have two partitions. Hence 2 drives are mounted.

Then format the drive Mac OS extended Journaled.

Once you do that it should work ok as a TM drive.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2017 2:49 PM in response to Giles Belfrage

I would start over.

It sounds like your external drive is partitioned and one partition is using either NTFS or some FAT version.. neither are suitable for TM backups which must be done to HFS+.

So step one.. assuming your disk has nothing on it you need.. open disk utility.. re-partition it and make sure you use GUID type. If you want multiple partitions is up to you.. but you obviously now have two partitions. Hence 2 drives are mounted.

Then format the drive Mac OS extended Journaled.

Once you do that it should work ok as a TM drive.

Nov 13, 2017 4:16 PM in response to Giles Belfrage

That is certainly what I do.. and recommend.

MBR is fine for most external drives if you don't need to boot from it.. but Apple has used GUID partitioning for a long time now.. and keeping stuff as native as possible is always good.

It will wipe out your drive.. as you must change the whole partitioning to do it.. and I frankly hate the disk utility. It is one of those stupid improvements in looks Apple makes with features removed or made extra obscure for no rational reason.. it is a utility after all.. used 10 times at most in the whole lifetime of the computer by 10% of the user base.. I would think at least 50% have never used it in their lives. And 40% probably once.

So if you happen to have a computer running older OS.. it is dead simple. For new OS you might need to read the instructions.. completely the reverse of where Apple should take people. IMHO of course.. !! Not so humble.. when discussing stupid changes!!

Time Machine in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.