Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My cursor keeps dropping off the application

Recognizing the difference between the mouse pointer and the cursor that shows where you intend to type, my cursor keeps dropping off the page in any and all applications like it may have moved to another application even when other applications are not open. Does anyone have an idea how to correct this?

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 3:35 PM

Hey there, jbstewart.

I see that the mouse cursor keeps leaving the window of the application you're trying to use. I'm happy to help.

How to turn on or turn off your Mac -- Restart your iMac then test the issue.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- Test how it responds in safe mode. If there are no issues, reboot normally and test again in your own user account. Remember this when booting in safe mode: Limited graphics performance in OS X recovery or safe mode

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac -- If the issue is also happening in safe mode, use this article to test another user account. This will demonstrate if the issue is isolated to your account, or if it's system wide.

If another user account is already set up on your Mac, you can simply log out of your account (Apple menu > Log Out) and log in with the other account. But the best way to test is with a newly created account:

Let me know how that goes.

Take care!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2017 3:35 PM in response to jbstewart

Hey there, jbstewart.

I see that the mouse cursor keeps leaving the window of the application you're trying to use. I'm happy to help.

How to turn on or turn off your Mac -- Restart your iMac then test the issue.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- Test how it responds in safe mode. If there are no issues, reboot normally and test again in your own user account. Remember this when booting in safe mode: Limited graphics performance in OS X recovery or safe mode

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac -- If the issue is also happening in safe mode, use this article to test another user account. This will demonstrate if the issue is isolated to your account, or if it's system wide.

If another user account is already set up on your Mac, you can simply log out of your account (Apple menu > Log Out) and log in with the other account. But the best way to test is with a newly created account:

Let me know how that goes.

Take care!

Nov 15, 2017 9:16 PM in response to raina_b22

As suggested, I went into my Library and deleted all the files that were associated with applications I no longer have on my system. Had to search for some of these file names to see what they were associated with. There must have been 15-20 that I deleted. This cleared up the problem. Apparently one of these files kept trying to start up and stole the attention of my cursor.

Thanks for getting my mind to think about these files.

- JB Stewart

My cursor keeps dropping off the application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.