Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11.1.1will not let me us "/" or ":" in a file name.

I applied iOS 11.1.1 on my iPhone 7. After I installed it, it says that I must rename any file with a "/" or ":" when I access it from my iPhone iCloud. The file name with a "/" works on OS 10.12.6, (":" does not) and on previous releases of iOS and iCloud accessed from Safari.

I put the files

2017-11-07 - Sample with dash.numbers

2017/11/07 - Sample with slash.numbers

onto my desktop, hence it is on iCloud.

From the macOS 10.12.6 desktop and via Safari iCloud - Sign in, both let me access the "/" file, but not the ":".

Neither is accepted in IOS 11.1.1, but it was on previous releases of iOS.

Since I use "/" in dates for hundreds of files I cannot going to use iCloud if I can't get the files on iPhone, I guess I'll have to move these files to my Mac, then keep selected files on iCloud so that I can access them iPhone. I am not about the rename all my files with a "/" in them to something else.

Since I have been using macOS since Puma (OS X 10.1), I do not appreciate this change.

iPhone 7, iOS 11.1, latest release of iOS

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 11:16 AM

Let Apple know -- Product Feedback - Apple.

2 replies

iOS 11.1.1will not let me us "/" or ":" in a file name.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.