Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 9.7” - defective embedded sim?

I bought a new 9.7” iPad (wi-fi + cellular) a few days ago, added to existing AT&T service plan, and have had repeated problems getting cellular data service to work. My cell phone gets AT&T signal with no problem.

I was on phone for a long time with AT&T specialized tech support before they could get iPad’s cellular data service set up and working initially. Now sometimes works, but more often iPad says either “NO SIM” or ”no service.”

Turning iPad off and on again worked a couple of times, and updating to iOS 11 (latest version) worked once, but fix never lasted long and now have same problem again and can‘t fix it.

1. Is there anything more I can do, or is embedded sim defective, meaning I have to return the iPad?

2. Are defective embedded sims a common, known problem with the new 9.7” iPad, or did I just get a lemon?

3. Finally, if I have return, how can I “erase” or “remove” any personal info that may now be stored on the embedded sim or iPad first, so I don’t risk others getting access to my info?

Thanks

iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 9:44 AM

1 reply

Nov 14, 2017 10:37 AM in response to Spot10

Hey Spot10,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. I can see from your post that you're unable to use cellular data on your iPad even after contacting your carrier for help. Seeing alerts like "No SIM" or "No Service" can definitely be an inconvenience especially if you have no issue with this service on your iPhone which uses the same wireless carrier. I also see that you would like to erase and remove any personal data in case you need to return the iPad. I want to make sure we do everything we can to help with this and if not, you can find that information in one of the links below.

Just to be sure, when you contacted your carrier, were you able to test this with a new sim card? The sim card is not embedded into the iPad Pro but is actually removable. You can find out how to remove this and other tips that can help resolve this in the link below.

If you see No Service or Searching on your iPhone or iPad

Remove or switch the SIM card in your iPhone or iPad

Also, if this is a new iPad and you're within your return period, you can use the info in this link to completely remove your personal information.

What to do before you sell or give away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Let me know if this helps.

Regards

iPad Pro 9.7” - defective embedded sim?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.