Found this in another thread and it worked. Number five worked for me. So maybe a switch in there was stuck.
|\|ever|\/|indApr 4, 2014 2:35 PM in response to c_brentnall
Level 1 (0 points)
Apr 4, 2014 2:35 PM Re: Built-In Speakers Sound Output Missing.in response to c_brentnall
Seems like if the red light is ON in the headphone jack, you might have a 'sticky switch' problem - physical issue. However, I would try the 'software' fixes first.
I would try this in order:
- Try the sound preferences - fixed it for one person, just set on the wrong thing.
- Try the Audio Midi Setup utility - fixed it for one person.
- Insert the headphone jack and take it out - fixed it for at least one person.
- Zap the PRAM - reboot and hold cmd-option-P-R and let the computer restart a couple times, then let go.
- Use something small and blunt and non conductive to gently prod/feel around the back of the headphone/digital audo out jack - keep the sound preference pane open and when it changes to 'internal speakers' you've got it.
#5 should only be done on an out of warranty computer, IMO just take it to Apple if under warranty. If you break your computer with #5 don't blame me, because you easily could.
Thanks to those who suggested poking the connector. It worked for me after 1-4 failed.