Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro hard drive not showing up High Sierra

So my 2012 MacBook Pro (Unibody, not Retina) was working fine on El Cap, but I wanted to upgrade to Sierra so I downloaded the update and started installing. As has sometimes happened to me before, the installer had some error or another and didn't complete the install, so I went ahead and tried the process again with a USB installer (I don't have any data on the computer so I'm not concerned about wiping the disk). However, now the drive doesn't show up in disk utility at all! I have tried the disk on another computer already running High Sierra to no avail. I know that the flex cables and logic board in both of these work, and I was able to start up the computer no problem with my other SSD. Any ideas would be appreciated, and if you need more information I can provide it.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), Mid 2012 MacBook Pro Unibody 15"

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 10:47 AM

2 replies

Nov 16, 2017 3:06 PM in response to lukeawesome

Hi lukeawesome,

I understand that you had some issues installing macOS Sierra, and while troubleshooting it you've noticed that your hard drive is not recognized by Disk Utility on your own Mac or another you've tested it with. I'm happy to provide some help for this issue.

Based on the troubleshooting that you've done for this issue already, I recommend using Apple Diagnostics to test your hard drive:

How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support
If your hard drive fails this diagnostic, I would recommend that you contact Apple Support. If it passes the diagnostics, try internet recovery:
About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

To manually start up from macOS Recovery over the Internet, hold down Option-Command-R or Shift-Option-Command-R at startup.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

MacBook Pro hard drive not showing up High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.