Question: "File is already open by another user or another application" error on shared InDesign files
to sum this up I have a work around, I'm just looking for an explanation. Here's the background:
A group of folder/files were moved from a user laptop back to a OS X 10.9 server shared over SMB are throwing this error when you try to launch them:
here are the details
• Server is running OS X 10.9.5; it's a 2009 Mac Pro so I don't think I can run OS X Server on it.
• Server is on same network block as all nodes (10.1.1.xxx)
• All server clients will get this message when they try to open the files (all nodes are OS X 10.13.1)
• No one has the folder open in a preview mode which might otherwise make the server "think" the file is open elsewhere
• Everyone is connecting over SMB and using the same user/pass
• There appear to be no difference in the user permissions on any other folder where this does not happen and the files open without incident, also applying the changes to all subfolders did nothing.
• Adobes forums are only slightly more useful than their tech support which is not useful at all and this may be a SMB issue as far back as Mavericks. I've been using SMB on this box for a long time and this is the first time it's happened AFAIK.
• Copying the files to new files inside the server drive will not stop the error from being displayed on the client side.
• Copying the files to the desktop of the boot drive then creating a new folder on the shared server drive in the folder hierarchy then copying the files back to the new folder root will let everything work.
Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13), Dual Xeon 2.4, 24GB RAM