Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nouns written with a capital letter? Why?

Whenever I write certain nouns in messages, my phone for some reason wants to change them - so that they are written with a capital letter this is grammatical incorrect so how come this happens? An example could be the word "palm", whenever I write it my phone changes it to "Palm". This is of course not a big problem, I'd just like to know why this is so? And how come?

(I don't know if this is valid for english users as well, as my iPhone works after the language danish, but if this is a 'problem' for any english users as well, please help)

Many thanks,

Ditte.

iPhone 6, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 11:57 AM

We will never know but we can guess. It's a problem with the grammar checker that thinks all nouns are the first word in sentences so it must be capitalized. File a suggestion at Feedback - Apple Support and/or Bug Reporting - Apple Developer.

3 replies

Nov 13, 2017 12:13 PM in response to dittemathilde

Spell checkers, grammar checkers, syntax checkers are all written using deterministic algorithms that will work most of the time but not all of the time. They can sometimes be a PITA instead of helpful. And, some are better than others depending on how reliable they are. Unfortunately, we will never find one that is purfek. 😁 My checker doesn't even recognize that misspelling because the word isn't known.

Nouns written with a capital letter? Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.