Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP7 - how to downgrade from High Sierra

I am in the middle of editing a project for a client, when someone at the office updated my mac to High Sierra,

so now FCP7 will not open anymore.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

I do not have a Time Machine backup.

So my question is, can I downgrade to Sierra, whilst keeping my FCP7 software intact?

(do I need to reinstall FCP7 btw?)

If so, does anyone have a recipe for downgrading to Sierra, that they know works from experience?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 11:43 AM

5 replies

Nov 13, 2017 11:51 AM in response to DanielLeCorbusier

Here are instructions - note I have not done this personally but it should work:

0) Make a backup of your Mac - use Time Machine

1) Make a second backup of your Mac - use Carbon Copy Cloner

2) Ensure your backups are working properly, i.e. by accessing files in the drive

3) Once you have downloaded Sierra, you will need to create a bootable USB installer on your Mac: http://diskmakerx.com/

4) Once the installer is created, boot off it using Startup Disk in System Preferences

5) Erase your disk in Disk Utility on the installer, then reinstall Sierra

6) once reinstalled, ATTEMPT to migrate data (or at least applications) from your Carbon Copy backup

7) if this fails due to the newer OS of the backup, you will need to create a new account on the Mac and manually reinstall apps and migrate data.

FCP7 - how to downgrade from High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.