Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: sharing and permissions on mac HD

I restarted my iMac and lost permission to move all files. I then updated the OS and still have the same problem. When I look at sharing and permissions on macintosh HD, it says "you can only read" and shows "system" as the only name with read and write permission. If I enter my password each time I move a file, it works, but am not allowed to add myself to the sharing and permissions for macintosh HD. How do I correct this?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), macOS Sierra 10.12.2

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 13, 2017 12:50 PM in response to Beth D In response to Beth D

System as Read & Write is correct

wheel (a leftover from Unix "wheelhouse) is Read only on the root drive

everyone is Read only as well

what is the specific issue you are having, is there an error message and what steps are you taking when the message occurs?

Nov 13, 2017 12:50 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 13, 2017 12:59 PM in response to JimmyCMPIT In response to JimmyCMPIT

I cannot move or create new files on my desktop without entering a password even if "get info" shows that I have access to the files. I tried to take a screenshot and now get an error message stating that I don't have permission to save the screenshot.

User uploaded file

Nov 13, 2017 12:59 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 13, 2017 1:33 PM in response to Beth D In response to Beth D

faling that go to Macintosh HD/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app

or click the spotlight tool (Magnifying glass) and type Disk Utlity

User uploaded file

select the boot drive and click First Aid

User uploaded file

failing that for futher analysis you may post an Etrecheck report. The link is http://www.etrecheck.com

Nov 13, 2017 1:33 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Beth D

Question: sharing and permissions on mac HD