Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac SMB inaccurate available space

Here's my setup:

2016 macbook pro with touchbar (High Sierra)

Linksys EA7500 router - per their specs, the hard drive is approved for sharing, and the routers supports NTFS, FAT, HFS+.

WD passport 2TB hard drive, and a sandisk 4GB usb drive attached to USB 3.0 ports on the router.

The hard drive and usb drives have been formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Mac OS Extended (non-journaled), or FAT32 during my various attempts to access them.

When I access the hard drives through smb://192.168.1.1 (as the router states), I'm able to see the drives and mount them. I can copy small files to them. However, both drives only show a 40mb available space. Intermittently they will switch to their respective sizes (2TB and 4GB), but then later switch back as per Finder. This means that I can't effectively copy or move files over 40mb since it doesn't see more available space. This 40mb space decreases as I add small files to it.

I have tried this with a friend's windows computer and it's not an issue. Therefore I believe it's the way the mac handles SMB (I seem to have read similar issues in the past on forums). Is there any way to address this? Any workaround?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 12:52 PM

There are no replies.

Mac SMB inaccurate available space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.