Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restoring backup: Error incompatible ios

Hi,

two months ago my iPhone 6 128gb was stolen and I downgraded to an iPhone 5s 32gb. Because of the difference in size I obviously haven't been able to restore my back up to the new (older) phone.

I've now got an iPhone 6s with sufficient space. However, in the meantime there have been iOS updates meaning that my back-up is still on version 10 whilst the phone that I'm trying to restore onto is already on iOS 11.

Thus when trying to restore from my back up I receive the error message that the back up is incompatible.

Is there anyway I can resolve this?

iPhone 6s

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 12:54 PM

1 reply

Nov 13, 2017 1:00 PM in response to mhartza

mhartza wrote:

Thus when trying to restore from my back up I receive the error message that the back up is incompatible.

Is there anyway I can resolve this?

You have incorrectly assumed the incompatibility is due to your iOS versions being different.

Actually, as long as the iOS version of the iPhone receiving the restore (your new iPhone 6S) is greater than or equal to the iOS version of the iPhone which was backed up (your former iPhone 6S), the backup could be restored.

So with a backup having been created in iOS 10 and restored to an iOS 11 device, there should be no problem.

The problem might be caused by a non-current version of iTunes. You need iTunes 12.7 or later to communicate to an iOS 11 device.

Or it might be caused by a change in cellular telephone number, Apple ID, or cellular carrier.

restoring backup: Error incompatible ios

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.