Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you add a macro to clear

Hello,

Is there anyway to add some type of macro in numbers to be able to clear. I want my end user of an iPad to be able to clear a column and sort with the click of a button. Making it very easy for my end user.

Thank you,

Catherine

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 6:52 AM

SGIII, Only because you questioned it -might- be possible, I checked for you and automating numbers is not an option using the workflow app in its current state. No actions interacting with any iwork apps directly.

I also checked and no scripting in excel for ipad either.

I know scripting does not work natively in ipad numbers.

Jason

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2017 6:52 AM in response to SGIII

SGIII, Only because you questioned it -might- be possible, I checked for you and automating numbers is not an option using the workflow app in its current state. No actions interacting with any iwork apps directly.

I also checked and no scripting in excel for ipad either.

I know scripting does not work natively in ipad numbers.

Jason

Nov 13, 2017 5:12 PM in response to SGIII

Sorry for the lack of details. I am somewhat new to numbers and more familiar with Excel. In Excel I made an order guide with two buttons "Sort Order Guide" and "Clear Order Guide". Each button has a macro attached.

The "Sort Order Guide" sorts the "Quantities Ordered" column and brings everything greater than 0 to the top, giving the end user the items ordered only. The "Clear Order Guide" button's macro clears all quantities ordered and sets order guide to original sort order. Now I am trying to do something in Numbers with same functionality for an end user that only has access to an iPad.

Thank you so much!

Nov 13, 2017 5:58 PM in response to CatherineBB

AppleScript on the Mac has similarities to VBA macros in Excel. An AppleScript could sort and clear values as you describe. However, an AppleScript cannot be attached to a button; it typically is triggered by a pick from a menu or by a keyboard shortcut. And an AppleScript (or VBA) cannot run on the iPad. So I don't think it is possible to do what you want, either in Numbers or in Excel.

SG

Nov 14, 2017 8:06 AM in response to jaxjason

jaxjason wrote:

SGIII, Only because you questioned it -might- be possible

Hi Jason. Before saying "it just can't be done" I like to understand what the "it" is first.🙂 I've found that often "it" turns out to be possible after all.

Workflow app now makes possible many things that weren't possible before–not "natively," but they can work nonetheless.

No native scripting in iWork on the iPad yet. Native scripting is already on the iPad, though. OmniGroup is a leader there. Maybe someday it will come to iWork too.

SG

Can you add a macro to clear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.