Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: ios 11 screen recording mic audio disappearing

Hey everyone,

Using the new screen recording feature in iOS 11, there is an option to enable audio, which includes both app/system audio AND audio recorded by the device's microphone in the video! (Great!)

Unfortunately, when I attempt to share the video, using any method I've tried, the microphone audio is stripped from the video while the app/system audio included in the video is preserved.

Both types of audio work if I:

- play the video back in Photos on macOS High Sierra

- export the video from Photos to my desktop and use quicklook to preview the video

The mic audio is stripped if I:

- Attach the video to an email by dragging from Photos, using Apple's Mail app on macOS High Sierra

- Attach the video to an email by dragging from my Desktop (exported from Photos, with audio preserved)

- Move the video to Dropbox (in order to share a link to the file) and play it back on Dropbox website using Safari on macOS High Sierra.

Can anyone make any sense of this?

I gather there must be something proprietary about the way the two audio streams are encoded in the video file, which only works when handled by Apple's most recent OSs, BUT if that's the case, WHAT IS THE POINT OF BEING ABLE TO RECORD AUDIO IF YOU CAN'T SHARE IT, and why wouldn't it preserve in Apple's own Mail app?

Message was edited by: Axcylae

UPDATE: If I attach it to an email using iOS Mail app using the "Insert Photo or Video" context menu option and pull it directly from iOS Photos, it appears (at least on my end) that both types of audio are preserved in the attachment. I haven't heard back from the recipient to confirm on their end yet.

This is still baffling to me... I would think they would have made High Sierra totally compatible with this iOS 11 feature, and since it's not, it's a heck of a lot less useful. What if I want to edit the video and audio using a Mac application before sending? I quite certainly will want to do this, indeed.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), null

Posted on

Page content loaded

There are no replies.
User profile for user: Axcylae

Question: ios 11 screen recording mic audio disappearing