Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule 2TB

Hello everyone. Just recently purchased iMac 27” operating in High Sierra, along with a Time Capsule. My question is, how to properly setup our network so we can remotely view our contents on the Time Capsule if possible. Exclusively on our Apple products(iPhones and iPads). All directions I’ve found from other sites describe the directions for the older OS programs.

Thank you for you time reading,

Chris

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 1:22 PM

3 replies

Nov 13, 2017 9:07 PM in response to Bravoco1010

On a Mac you can use Back to my Mac.. as long as the TC is the main (and only) router in the network..

Apple has made no provision to open Time Capsule files from a iOS.. even on the local network.. so it certainly hasn't anything native to work remotely.

Filebrowser can work locally.. remotely it is much tougher job.

What is more important.. even if you can do it.. it is not secure..

The right method is to buy a VPN router.. plug that in as your main router.. and vpn into your network.. almost every OS ever made has OpenVPN client which works really well. And the router is not expensive.. eg Asus RT-AC68U is made with OpenVPN server as well as a couple of others. That gives you secure access to your whole network from anywhere.. using a standard client.

Time Capsule 2TB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.