Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone x ios 11.1.1 tether not working. clock flashes like it is trying and then fails.

Running a Dell Laptop with Win10. Can successfully tether to a 5SE with ios 11.1.1. Cannot tether to an iPhone x with 11.1.1. the X seems to get the request from the laptop because the clock flashes blue a few times but ultimately I get a "cannot connect to this network" error. Rebooted each device. Turned wifi off on a few times. No connection, never prompted for password.

iPhone X, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 2:10 PM

8 replies

Nov 14, 2017 1:56 PM in response to mplafferty

Hi mplafferty,

I understand that you are unable to connect your Windows 10 laptop to the Personal Hotspot on your iPhone using USB. I'm happy to provide some help for this issue.

I recommend going through the troubleshooting provided for this issue in the following article:

Get help with Personal Hotspot on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Use these steps first

Try again after each step.

1. Check that Personal Hotspot is turned on. There are two places to look: Check in Settings > Personal Hotspot. Then check in Settings > Cellular > Personal Hotspot. If you can't find or turn on Personal Hotspot, check that your wireless carrier enabled it and that your wireless plan supports it.
  2. Switch Internet connections. For example, switch from a Wi-Fi connection to Bluetooth or USB.
  3. Restart the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot. Then restart your other device.
  4. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS on your iPhone or iPad and your other device.
  5. On the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

If you still need help, use the steps below for help with Personal Hotspot over Wi-Fi, USB, or Bluetooth.

Connect your Windows PC to Personal Hotspot with USB

1. Update to the latest version of iTunes.
  2. With a USB cable, connect your computer to the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot. Then, make sure that you can locate and view your iPhone or iPad in iTunes.
  3. Follow the steps provided by Microsoft to check your Internet connection in Windows 10 or Windows 7.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Mar 21, 2018 12:30 PM in response to karenfrommandurah

Did you ever solve your problem? I have the same issue, it will connect once out of 100 tries but drop out as soon as I get an email or a text then will not connect again. A $1000 bucks for a phone and the best CS can so it's ask if it's turned on. I've been using a $60 lg Android without a flaw. So angry and CS just pastes some scripted reply. Hope you find the problem and please post of you do. Apple isn't any help.

Paul

Mar 21, 2018 6:35 PM in response to paulfromjamestown

Hi Paul

Thanks for your comments, yes still have problems on and off but plugged it into my laptop the other day and connected straight away so not sure. I am currently talking with Apple about my hotspot on my phone X not allowing other items, ie my iPad Pro to connect to its hotspot automatically. Used to do it before the latest iOS update, now will not connect until I have turned my hotspot off and then on again then the iPad will connect straight away, very inconvenient. So will see what the outcome of that is... but yes spend a grand on a phone and doesn’t work as well as a cheapy.

iPhone x ios 11.1.1 tether not working. clock flashes like it is trying and then fails.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.