Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

carplay

Since updating to IOS 11 my CarPlay isn't working as good as before. i have to keep unplugging and replugging it. When i just the icons on the screen on the dashboard it doesn't work.

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 2:45 PM

6 replies

Nov 14, 2017 7:57 AM in response to mperl56

Hi mperl56,

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems like you updated the device and now you are having trouble with CarPlay. I would recommend you read this article and use it to help troubleshoot the issue.

Get help

If CarPlay doesn't work like you expect, here’s what you can check. After each step, try using CarPlay again.

1. Make sure that Siri is turned on.
  2. Restart your iPhone and your car. Depending on your car, you might see the CarPlay Home screen when you turn it on. If you don't, look for the CarPlay logo on your car’s display.
  3. If possible, connect your iPhone to a different USB port in your car.
  4. Try a different Lightning to USB cable. Make sure that the cable is certified.
  5. Update to the latest version of iOS.
  6. Check your car’s manual for help. You might need to install firmware updates for your stereo.

Set up CarPlay with your iPhone

Cheers.

Nov 22, 2017 12:14 PM in response to Leanne_68

I have gone through this exercise DOZENS of times. Carplay worked perfectly well with my Kenwood DDX 6902S receiver. Ever since IOS 11 it is for all practical purposes useless. It takes several wranglings to get carplay to work with the head unit. Sometimes a blank screen, other times no disclaimer, other times nothing (yet it still charges from the USB). I am using a genuine lightning cable. The fact of the matter is, it worked fine before IOS 11. Now it's riddled with problems. It's not the car unit that changed. It's apple.

(rant on)There are MANY other issues with ios 11. Battery life is less than 1/2 what it used to be. Just about EVERY app is slow. Esp camera. By the time the 3-4 second delay to get the camera focused happens, the moment has come and gone, unless you're photographing a house plant. Typing is slow, apps opening is slow. I am not the only one with these issues there are thousands if not hundreds of thousands of apple users experiencing these issues.

Is there a formal apple site where bugs / issues can be reported (and they will listen)?

It's unconscionable that apple could release something this dysfunctional Is this just a ploy to get everyone to upgrade tot he latest and greatest? (rant off)

I apologize for the rant, but I am really upset about this. it's not like I have a choice and can go backwards.

Dec 23, 2017 6:14 AM in response to mperl56

I have been having the same issue, along with general slow performancemance on my iPhone 6. Tried everything to get it working well again - reset everything, went through a bunch of steps with support, etc.

Sometimes it will work for a while, and then mess up again — but is almost always extremely slow to load and delayed in responding. I found I was fiddling to get CarPlay to work while on the road, which was not safe.

I have become so frustrated with this absolutely horrible experience that I went out and purchased a $30 prepaid Android phone which works fast and flawlessly with Android Auto. This is so redicolous that a cheap Android phone is working tremendously better in my car than my iPhone.

My family uses all Apple products at home - iPads, MacBooks, iPhones, Apple TV. I never thought of ever using Android, and it still isn’t my first choice for many reasons. But when it come to working in my car, it just works and my iPhone is a horrible buggy slow experience. Please Apple fix this!

carplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.