Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the GPS feature works if you don’t turn on cellular feature?

I have series 3 gps+cellular watch. I don’t want to turn on cellular service on yet. Does GPS work without cellular service? I just want to walk without my phone and the watch track where I am! :-/

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 1:29 AM

Hi

Yes, it does.

Whilst a route map is not shown during workouts, when recording certain outdoor workouts - including Outdoor Walk - via the Workout app, the route map will still be recorded.

Once your workout results have synced to your iPhone after your workout, the route map can be viewed via the Activity app on your iPhone:

On your iPhone, in the Activity app, go to: Workouts (tab) > tap on the workout to view the summary > tap on the route map thumbnail at the bottom to view a larger version.

To benefit from this feature, be sure to check that Location Services are enabled:

On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services:

• Check that Location Services (the main setting at the top) is turned on.
  • In the list of apps beneath, check that Apple Watch Workout is set to While Using.
  • Also enable options under System Services including Motion Calibration & Distance, Wi-Fi Networking and Mobile Network Search.

More information:

Work out with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Listen to music on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2017 1:29 AM in response to ms. tee

Hi

Yes, it does.

Whilst a route map is not shown during workouts, when recording certain outdoor workouts - including Outdoor Walk - via the Workout app, the route map will still be recorded.

Once your workout results have synced to your iPhone after your workout, the route map can be viewed via the Activity app on your iPhone:

On your iPhone, in the Activity app, go to: Workouts (tab) > tap on the workout to view the summary > tap on the route map thumbnail at the bottom to view a larger version.

To benefit from this feature, be sure to check that Location Services are enabled:

On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services:

• Check that Location Services (the main setting at the top) is turned on.
  • In the list of apps beneath, check that Apple Watch Workout is set to While Using.
  • Also enable options under System Services including Motion Calibration & Distance, Wi-Fi Networking and Mobile Network Search.

More information:

Work out with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Listen to music on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Does the GPS feature works if you don’t turn on cellular feature?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.