Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto deleted, now photos are lost?

Hey smart people,

I recently backed up files from my 2010 iMac onto 2 external hard drives to clear space and update the Operating System which is now El Capitan. Since the new Photos app was to make iPhoto obsolete, I deleted iPhoto to avoid confusion. I assumed the programs were similar & compatible. Now when I try to open the iPhoto file on the hard drive (to access 7 years of my photo collection) it shows the slash through the icon and tells me to update iPhoto, and then it is unavailable to buy in the App store. It does not show up in purchases since it was so long ago.

Am I **** out of luck having deleted all my pictures? Or is there some way they can be recovered? I am getting so desperate over here...

VIN,iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 3:20 PM

1 reply

Nov 13, 2017 3:26 PM in response to analog_girl

If you deleted the iPhoto application, choose Home from the Finder's Go menu, open the Pictures folder, and drag the iPhoto library to the Photos icon on the Dock.

If you deleted the iPhoto library after importing it into Photos, open Photos.

If you deleted the iPhoto library before importing it into Photos, restore it from a backup.

(155018)

iPhoto deleted, now photos are lost?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.