Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wireless stopped working after new cable modem

Hi,

Perpetual Apple noob here. I replaced my cable modem with an Arris Surfboard SB8200 to have it conform with Comcast Xfinity's list of approved devices. It took a lot of rebooting and waiting around for things to finally calm down. I have wired connections working just fine, but wireless doesn't work. I've tried re-creating the wireless, but the behavior is the same. I can see my wireless network, and it appears my devices are joining. They ask me for the password and I give it and there is no indication the connection is bad. However, the any attempt to use the wireless connection fails. Mail on iphone and ipad returns error that the server cannot be found, and apps that are configured to only work with wi-fi data error on startup, telling me there is no connection. I have tried Forget this Network on each device. The same behavior happens on my laptop. The wireless network icon would suggest I am connected, but Wireless Diagnostics says there is no LAN connection. I am running the latest firmware. What can I do to fix my wi-fi?

Thanks,

-Fred

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), Airport Extreme 802.11n

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 4:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 11:02 PM

Start by powering off the Arris modem, either by pulling the power cord from the back of the device, or disconnecting the power supply from the wall AC jack. Leave the modem powered off for at least 60 minutes. Longer is better.

During the time that the modem is powered off, power up the AirPort Extreme for a few minutes if it is not already on, and then hold in the reset button on the back of the AirPort Extreme for 7-8 seconds and release. Allow a full minute for the AirPort Extreme to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status.

User uploaded file

Then, power off the AirPort Extreme.

After the modem power down period has passed, make sure that the Ethernet cable from the modem connects to the WAN "O" port on the back of the AirPort Extreme.

Power up the modem and let it run for at least 5 minutes by itself.

Then, power up the AirPort Extreme and let it run a few minutes.

Click the WiFi menu at the top of your Mac's screen and look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station. Just under that listing, click directly on AirPort Extreme.

User uploaded file

When you click on AirPort Extreme, that will start up the AirPort Utility setup "wizard". It will take a few seconds to analyze things, then display a screen that looks like this, except that you will see a picture of the AirPort Extreme.

User uploaded file

Select Create a new network if it is not already selected

Click Next

Follow the prompts to name your wireless network, name the AirPort Extreme and set up a password for both the wireless and the AirPort Extreme. It would be a good idea to set up a new wireless network name and password. Write that information down as you go.

The setup "wizard" will automatically configure the AirPort Extreme with the settings that you have chosen. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done.

Try to connect to the network with your various devices, and report on your results.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2017 11:02 PM in response to fbattle

Start by powering off the Arris modem, either by pulling the power cord from the back of the device, or disconnecting the power supply from the wall AC jack. Leave the modem powered off for at least 60 minutes. Longer is better.

During the time that the modem is powered off, power up the AirPort Extreme for a few minutes if it is not already on, and then hold in the reset button on the back of the AirPort Extreme for 7-8 seconds and release. Allow a full minute for the AirPort Extreme to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status.

User uploaded file

Then, power off the AirPort Extreme.

After the modem power down period has passed, make sure that the Ethernet cable from the modem connects to the WAN "O" port on the back of the AirPort Extreme.

Power up the modem and let it run for at least 5 minutes by itself.

Then, power up the AirPort Extreme and let it run a few minutes.

Click the WiFi menu at the top of your Mac's screen and look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station. Just under that listing, click directly on AirPort Extreme.

User uploaded file

When you click on AirPort Extreme, that will start up the AirPort Utility setup "wizard". It will take a few seconds to analyze things, then display a screen that looks like this, except that you will see a picture of the AirPort Extreme.

User uploaded file

Select Create a new network if it is not already selected

Click Next

Follow the prompts to name your wireless network, name the AirPort Extreme and set up a password for both the wireless and the AirPort Extreme. It would be a good idea to set up a new wireless network name and password. Write that information down as you go.

The setup "wizard" will automatically configure the AirPort Extreme with the settings that you have chosen. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done.

Try to connect to the network with your various devices, and report on your results.

wireless stopped working after new cable modem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.