Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

anti virus

I had some Apple phone tech support today, the apple tech person had me install that module where they can access your computer. One of the first things he did was have me uninstall the antivirus software I had. He said Mac's don't need antivirus software.
Is this true?

Browsing this subject right here at the Apple forum boards, an expert posted:
"Apple's computers are among the most secure computers available to consumers. Still, I would strongly encourage you to invest in anti-virus software for your Macbook" So what should I do? At the Apple App store, there are plenty of anti-virus apps, why are they there if it's something Apple users don't need?

Should I Re-load antivirus software?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook, iOS 9.3.5, Chrome browser

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 6:36 PM

8 replies

Nov 13, 2017 6:52 PM in response to the5thbeatle

I don’t use any anti-virus software and never had. Sometimes I run the free version of Malwarebytes, or EtreCheck but only if a real issue arises and as diagnostic tools only.

Everything you need is already included in macOS. Read these links for a broader understanding of potential annoyances.

Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Nov 13, 2017 6:50 PM in response to the5thbeatle

Your Mac already has Anti-Virus software built-in. It is called X-Protect, and it is updated frequently without your having to do anything. It does not have a User interface, because it does not need one.

It does NOT make BIG SHOW of reading every file all over your Mac, scanning for Windows Virus that cannot possibly affect your Mac, and complaining about useless nonsense, and make your Mac unstable and crash often. For those features, you would have to pay Extra for a useless third-party anti-Virus software.

Nov 13, 2017 6:52 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for your reply.
Does Apple have an official statement on the subject?
I've read that you don't need antivirus if you use "common sense". As wise as I think I am, I have downloaded things from non-Apple sites, despite the pop-up warning. This might not count as "common sense". In my case, should I be using a antivirus software?

What's your opinion?

Nov 13, 2017 7:01 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I from what I've read "X-Protect", doesn't offer a lot of protection.

Unlike other antivirus applications, XProtect doesn’t use any sort of advanced heuristics. It’s just looking for a handful of bad files Apple has specifically listed. This allows Apple to put the brakes on any bit of Mac malware before it gets too out of control and ensures your Mac is protected from downloading any old pieces of malware out there. XProtect is just a convenient way for Apple to blacklist individual pieces of malware. But it doesn’t take care of cleaning up any existing infections and doesn’t check to make sure your Mac is clean in the background.

Nov 14, 2017 6:42 AM in response to the5thbeatle

the5thbeatle-

If you run Windows, most Readers here would agree that you DO need an Anti-Virus, but that you should be running it inside the Windows environment, not on the Mac side.

The article you cited does not even mention X-Protect, it is about Windows virus detection, which is a completely different issue than the one being discussed here. That article's opening statement:

Antivirus programs are powerful pieces of software that are essential on Windows computers.

--------

If you want to meaningfully contribute to the discussions here, you need to cite articles that support the statements you make. Citing tangential arguments not supported by the sources you cite helps no one.

anti virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.