Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme Oddness

I've having a very odd problem and I think it's with my airport extreme. It started last night when I tried to print to my wireless HP printer and was told the printer wasn't found. However, I could find the printer in the control panel but when I tried to re-add the printer I just got an error.

Then my NAS, which is connected to the Airport via Ethernet went offline - couldn't be found. And slowly over the past couple of days all my Nest alarms and thermostat have lost the wireless connection and I can't get them re-added. The weird thing, though, is that the internet seems to be working find through the Airport - I'm using it right now. I've tried restarting the base station several times and de-connecting / re-connecting the items connected to the unit via ethernet but it doesn't seem to be working.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before ? Usually a peripheral either works or it doesn't, this thing seems to be half-a$$ working and I'm at a loss.

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 8:09 PM

20 replies

Nov 13, 2017 8:29 PM in response to ejh4isu

What happens if you open AirPort Utility on your Mac and click Edit in the smaller window that appears?

Can you see the tabs for Base Station, Internet, Wireless, Network, Disks at the top of the screen?

User uploaded file

If yes, click on the Network tab, and report on the setting that you see for Router Mode. It will likely either be DHCP and NAT......or.....Off (Bridge Mode).

Next item......we need the make and model number of your modem to know whether the setting for Router Mode is correct for the type of modem that you have.

Nov 15, 2017 8:13 AM in response to ejh4isu

Ok, a few things come to mind:

1. Did you configure this printer to use a static local IP address or to get an IP address from DHCP?
  2. Is your Mac configured for "IPv6 Link-local only" or "IPv6 Automatic?"

System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi or Ethernet (depending on how you connect this Mac to the network) > Advanced > TCP/IP tab > Configure IPv6

3. Do you use any type of software firewall or anti-virus application on this Mac?

Nov 16, 2017 1:49 PM in response to ejh4isu

Yes, it may be possible; however, I would suggest that you do the following:

1. Try using a static local IP address for your printer instead of using DHCP to assign it an address. Choose an address outside of the default DHCP range of: 10.0.1.2-200, to something like: 10.0.1.210
  2. Change the IPv6 setting to: Link-local only.

Nov 16, 2017 2:19 PM in response to ejh4isu

Let's start with the second item, changing the IPv6 address type to Link-local only.

On your Mac:

• System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi or Ethernet (depending on how you connect your Mac to the network) > Advanced > TCP/IP tab > Configure IPv6
  • Change this setting to "Link-local only"
  • Click on OK.
  • Click on Apply.

Changing the printer's setting to use a static IP address should be available in the link I provided you for this printer's User Guide. You would use the printer's front control panel to change settings.

You can try running a wireless network diagnostics test from the printer's control panel:

• (From page 157) From the Home screen on the printer control panel, swipe until the Setup menu displays. Touch the Setup icon to open the menu.
  • Scroll to and select Self Diagnostics.
  • Select Run Wireless Test to start the test. The printer prints a test page that shows the test results.

This would provide you with the current settings.

Where you would want to concentrate on starts on page 101. This section is about configuring the printer's network settings. The one we would want would be how the printer get's its IP address. We would want to choose Manual. Take a look at section: Manually configure IPv4 TCP/IP parameters from the control panel.

Nov 13, 2017 8:47 PM in response to ejh4isu

Power off the modem completely by pulling the power cable from the back of the device or pulling the power supply from the AC wall jack.

Leave the modem off at least 60 minutes to allow the equipment back at the cable company to fully reset and issue a new fresh IP address. Better to wait longer......2-3 hours.....if possible.

Power off everything else on the entire network as well.

After the modem power down period, start up the modem and let it run for 5-10 minutes by itself.

Then, power up the AirPort Extreme and let it run for 5-10 minutes.

See if your Mac will connect. If it will, power up another device. If it connects, power up another device. Keep powering up devices one at a time checking as you go. Report on your results.

Nov 14, 2017 7:15 AM in response to ejh4isu

Since all of your other devices will connect, this is clearly a printer problem, not an AirPort Extreme issue. But, we can try to help.

What is the make and model number of the printer? We ask because other users who see this post might have the same model and be able to offer some tips on getting the printer working again.

In the meantime, please check online support with your printer manufacturer for troubleshooting tips and suggestions on the printer.

Nov 14, 2017 8:00 AM in response to ejh4isu

The report indicates that the security has been changed on the AirPort router, but this is not possible if all that you did was power off the AirPort and then power it back up. So, the report is not correct unless you have manually changed some of the settings on the AirPort.

Very few users have MAC Access Control set up, but if you do, chances are you would know it, since you would have had to have gone through a long and detailed process to set up "rules" for each device that connects to your network.

Nov 14, 2017 6:38 PM in response to Tesserax

I've spent the last two hours trying to get the printer connected to my network, when I finally did get it connected and added to the system nothing will print. I get this error "Unable to connect to ‘HP Color LaserJet MFP M477fdw (51C8FC)._ipps._tcp.local.’ due to an error. Would you still like to create the printer?"

I answer 'yes' to create the printer, but nothing will actually print. The print window shows the printer offline and/or states it is not responding.

Airport Extreme Oddness

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.