Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My photos disappeared after upgrade to High Sierra

I had approximately 1800 photos in iPhoto. After I upgraded to High Sierra, I only have 845 photos, and cannot find them anywhere. Mix of both old and new photos. Not in my iCloud storage either of course. Photos are removed from all devices. Does anyone know how to get them back, or has anyone else had the problem?

Posted on Nov 13, 2017 8:43 PM

5 replies

Nov 13, 2017 10:17 PM in response to justaglo

Thank you for the information. I checked other libraries, but it seems to have deleted those too, except for my old ones. Those were left intact. I was able to go back on my time machine and pick up a few thousand. Fortunately, I back up frequently and my photos at least twice. But can't seem to recover all of them. I will call Apple support because I thought iCloud was safe. Thanks again.

Nov 15, 2017 5:00 PM in response to justaglo

I had approximately 1800 photos in iPhoto.

Is that a typo or did you just upgrade to High Sierra and migrated the iphoto Library to Photos for Mac?

If the photos have been in iPhoto and not in Photos, you may need to repair the iPhoto Library, before migrating it again to Photos.

As to the missing photos in iCloud - if your Photos library has been syncing with iCloud and all photos uploaded to iCloud, your photos should download again from iCloud, if you enable iCloud Photo Library, unless you deleted photos on other devices that are syncing with iCloud Photo Library, for example on an iPhone or iPad. Or, unless the upload could not finish, because of lack of iCloud storage.

My photos disappeared after upgrade to High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.