Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Poor Apple Watch battery life after iPhone 6 to iPhone 8 upgrade

I’ve been searching on the internet and going through Apple forums but couldn’t find any info.

After upgrading my my iPhone from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone 8 my battery life on my Apple series 0 Watch has reduced by at least 30%. I used to easily be able to wake up at 7am and if I forgot to charge it when I went to bed, I would usually last until mid-afternoon the next day.

Yesterday, I took my battery off charge at about 1pm and by 9pm I was on 48% charge. Well below what I’d normally expect.

I obviously re-paired the Watch with the new iPhone 8 and didn’t change any settings after re-pairing. Does anybody know if there any new defaults the iPhone 8 could have set, or has anybody experienced this? I’ve had the new phone and watch pairing going for a week now so it doesn’t seem to be a one off Event.

Apple Watch, watchOS 4.1

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 12:30 AM

5 replies

Nov 14, 2017 12:44 AM in response to Slipgate

Hi

Battery life varies depending on use and other factors. Examples are detailed here:

Apple Watch - Battery - Apple

Apple's tips for maximising battery life on Apple Watch are detailed here:

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

If your Apple Watch is experiencing significantly shorter battery life than Apple's examples suggest that you should expect, then it may help to follow these steps, which have previously resolved battery life issues for other users, including after software updates and switches to a new iPhone, when usage has not otherwise changed (check after each):

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest compatible software versions, starting with your iPhone:

Restart both your iPhone and your Apple Watch, turning both off together and then restarting your iPhone first:

If you have ever (not necessarily recently) previously used the Workout app and/or any third-party fitness or sleep tracking apps to record workouts on your watch, check on your Apple Watch to see whether there is a paused activity within any of them. If there is, end that activity from within the app on your watch (not your iPhone).

• If in doubt, remove any such third-party apps from your Apple Watch.

Unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch:

Some users have previously experienced battery life issues in connection with using corporate profiles and/or Exchange Calendars. If you are using an Exchange Calendar, one or more of these steps may help:

• Archive your Exchange Calendar for all items before today.
  • Remove / delete all old inbox messages relating to calendar invites (accept and decline notifications).
  • Create a rule in your Outlook Mail account that moves all future accept and decline replies, immediately upon receipt, into a separate mail folder that does not sync with your iPhone and Apple Watch.
  • Check your Exchange Calendar for errors.

Finally, it may help to:

Having tried the previous steps, if your remain concerned that battery life is shorter than it should be, then I suggest contacting Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), making a Genius Bar reservation or visiting an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Nov 14, 2017 9:46 AM in response to Jonathan UK

Jonathan UK,

Thanks for the reply, but it doesn’t address the question I was asking,

It's not been the case that I’m concerned about my Apple Watch battery life compared to Apple‘s specific metrics, looking for tips on maximising battery life or having troubles with variability - the latter of which I can see how there would be differences on a day-to-day basis, something which I’ve noticed and become accOmer to.

It’s the particular trouble I’m having now where the only thing that has changed is I’ve migrated from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone 8 and the battery life on my watch has tanked.

I’ve not changed any settings. I restored my iPhone 8 from the previous iPhone backup.

Today is another good example, now I’ve started looking at the numbers (rather than it ‘feeling like something‘s wrong). I took my Apple Watch off charge (at 100%) at 11:30 today. It‘s now 17:40 and I’m down to 47% battery life left on my watch - typically, with my typical usage, as was today, I wouldn’t be less than 75%.

So, to re-iterate my original question, any ideas and experiences of going from an iPhone 6 (or other) to an iPhone 8 (or earlier) and experiencing the same things?

Thanks

Richard

Nov 14, 2017 11:03 AM in response to Jonathan UK

If you’d read my full reply, you’d have been able to see that I’m not questioning Apple’s default reply, which is all you’ve posted, I’m asking for experiences above that and not conjecture.

At the risk of repeating myself, nothing has changed in my setup and what I’ve experienced from my Apple Watch battery life in general before other than changing my iPhone from version 6 to version 8 - only since then, has the Watch battery life suffered.

Since my last post, the Apple Watch battery life has gone from 48% to 32% - at this rate the Watch will be dead before bedtime, no longer than 11 hours - typical usage before changing my iPhone has been a day and a half - roughly 36 hours.

Nov 14, 2017 11:09 AM in response to Slipgate

At the risk of repeating myself, the steps in my first reply have helped to resolve similar issues for other users, including after software upgrades and/or iPhone switches, when their usage has not otherwise changed.

I suggest that you try following those steps.

If they do not help, then I suggest contacting Apple, also as previously advised.

Poor Apple Watch battery life after iPhone 6 to iPhone 8 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.