Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create a simple line graph in Numbers version 3.6.2?

I have the latest version OS 10.11.6 and Numbers version 3.6.2 and I would like to know how to create a simple line graph... I googled and can't seem to find anything to help me.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 1:11 AM

12 replies

Nov 15, 2017 1:02 AM in response to miinujo

The template shows where the numbers are. Click a graph, and then the Edit Data References rectangle to get a feel for how things work.

The numbers go into a table, and you base the graph on part or all of a table.

See where the x y are?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

You would put your data where the x and y are. Then "connect the dots" to make a line (click the chart and look for this in the panel at the right).

User uploaded file

And remove the formatting on the points if you want (click the line in the chart and look for this in the panel at the right).

User uploaded file

The results, straight from the template, end up something like this:

User uploaded file

It can be customized further as needed. Explore the tabs in the panel at the righ.

SG

Nov 15, 2017 1:02 AM in response to miinujo

Hi miinujo / ka,

Adding to these excellent replies (Scatter Plot), perhaps you are looking for a 2D Line Chart (graph).

The Charting Basics template (Basic Charts Sheet) does not illustrate this. So here we go...

User uploaded file

A 2D Line graph is one of the Category graphs where the X-axis consists of discrete Categories (in your example, Day Number).

User uploaded file

The X-axis has equally spaced values (ideally, one label for each Category).

For a Category graph, the X values must be in a Header Column, and the Y values must be in a non-Header column.

Row 1 is a Header Row.

You can enlarge the table to 90 days

User uploaded file

Now stretch the graph to the right

User uploaded file

The X-axis has room for only every second label (Day 1, 3, 5... to Day 89).

To include every day, stretch the graph further to the right

User uploaded file

Good luck, this will not fit on one sheet of paper!

Hint, you can change the type of graph here:

User uploaded file

And, yes, you can add a second line to a Scatter Plot or a 2D Line graph.

Regards,

Ian.

Nov 15, 2017 2:29 AM in response to miinujo

Hi ~k,

Also, I may want to add a second line to the graph so it would show two different results.

If you want a Line graph with two (or more) Categories, it might look like this:

User uploaded file

Each fruit is a distinct Category (the horizontal X-axis)

Values (numbers for the years 2016 and 2017) are the vertical Y-axis.

I you want a Scatter Plot, please see replies above.

Please reply with your overall aim.

Never, ever give up.

User uploaded file

Regards,

Ian.

Nov 15, 2017 1:00 AM in response to Yellowbox

Hi, Ian~!

Lol, I didn't realize how long 90 days would be... maybe I'll break it down to three 30-day charts... I'll have to re-read (slowly) your instructions to figure it out... As soon as I read "X-axis consists of discrete Categories...", my mind went flew away... x's & y's remind me of algebra/trigonometry and I zone out... 😁 I will try during the day (it's almost 11pm) when my mind is more awake and clear...

Thank you very much~!

~k 🙂

How do I create a simple line graph in Numbers version 3.6.2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.