Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What will I lose migrating from Aperture 3.6 to Photos 3 ?

Hello all,

I resisted for years but I think the time has come to migrate from good ol' Aperture 3.6 to the latest and greatest Photos 3 (in macOS High Sierra).

I know both apps are not for the same uses or users.

However I'd like to know if I will somehow lose the following Aperture features (those that matter most to me) in the migration process:

• stacks (I use them a lot in Aperture)
  • edits made to my originals (masters) in Aperture: will I get both original and edited images in Photos 3?
  • geotagging: over the years I imported into Aperture a lot of GPS tracks from an iOS application, in order to geotag my photos (I do not have a GPS-capable camera). Will I lose all that GPS data?
  • comments or captions that I added to the "Description" field of some photos

By the way: I also have old iPhoto libraries lying around. What is the best way to import them into Photos 3 too? Should I import then into Aperture before, and then migrate everything to Photos 3 in one move?

Thanks for any help!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), Fusion Drive (SSD 512GB + HDD 1TB)

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 2:16 AM

There are no replies.

What will I lose migrating from Aperture 3.6 to Photos 3 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.