Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to type i or k

I have read of the bug with autocorrecting the letter i to a funny symbol. However, I cannot even type i or k at all! Hardware problem or is it to do with the bug?

iPhone 6, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 3:20 AM

20 replies

Nov 14, 2017 5:03 AM in response to i_am_chosenman

Yes, the suggestion made by x64uk is the only possible workaround that I can see, at the moment.

But your situation is strange.

Many people solved similar issues updating their devices to iOS 11.1.1., and clearing their "text replacement" and/or restarting their iphones.

So, I do not have further suggestions, except these 2 operations:

Remove your keyboard, restart your device, add the keyboard back again and test it.

or

Install a fresh copy of latest iOS version, restoring your device to factory settings.

To do this, make a full backup of your iP6, then follow the steps provided in this support guide, and set your iphone as new:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Then restore from your previous backup.

If nothing changes, contact the nearest Apple Store and see if they can find a different solution.

Regards

Giulio

Nov 14, 2017 8:28 AM in response to i_am_chosenman

Well, it's difficult to give you an appropriate answer remotely.

But if nothing has changed after the troubleshootings steps I suggested, it could be a hardware problem (screen?). Have your device inspected at the nearest Apple Store.

The only thing I have in mind now is: are you using a screen protector? Should be this case, remove it and test your keyboard again.

Regards

Giulio

Nov 14, 2017 10:44 AM in response to ProustGiulio

@i_am_chosenman

I suppose the thing to do would be to check the digitizer.

Maybe open up the notes app, open a new note, choose the pencil icon at the bottom of the screen, and see if we can draw lines across the are of the screen where the errant keys are normally located.

@ProustGiulio - You're not the first an you won't be the last 🙂 . I think we all have 'autocorrect bug fatigue' at the moment - and there are still users reporting autocorrect issues after 11.1.1.

Nov 14, 2017 10:57 AM in response to i_am_chosenman

Which model of iPhone are you using? I had what seems like a similar issue with my new iPhone X after I left the office on a cold day - some keys on the right side of the keyboard (in portrait) were unresponsive for about half a minute, then they came back to life. For now I blamed that on the temporary touchscreen issue when the iPhone is exposed to cold temperatures, which was publicly admitted by Apple a few days ago and will be solved in a future update.

Unable to type i or k

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.