Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tea in Magic Keyboard

As a British man, I cannot go a day without at least three cups of tea, it's just not possible. Naturally, accidents occur and when you mix tea and keyboard you don't end up with good things.

Such an event occurred last week, and I spilled half a mug all over my desk and into my Magic Keyboard. Luckily, the keyboard still works, not a key doesn't, however the left side, including the spacebar, is crunchy.

I've had a look at the iFixit teardown, and I am not brave enough to attempt this. I am also reluctant to remove any of the keys, having seen how hard they are to re-install.

Is there anything that can be done to alleviate the crunchiness?

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 1:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 2:24 AM

Alex,

In truth, not a lot. The iFixit people are being understandably cautious There is a further guide here on uTube, but again, to be approached with caution.

The effects of a liquid spillage are at some time going to show up as the liquid corrodes the metal. The length of time it takes to materialize cannot be forecast (except that it always happens at the worst possible time).

I think you should be preparing to buy a replacement keyboard. That 'crunchy' description sounds like the contents of the liquid are hardening already.

<Link Edited by Host>

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2017 2:24 AM in response to alexmccaeb

Alex,

In truth, not a lot. The iFixit people are being understandably cautious There is a further guide here on uTube, but again, to be approached with caution.

The effects of a liquid spillage are at some time going to show up as the liquid corrodes the metal. The length of time it takes to materialize cannot be forecast (except that it always happens at the worst possible time).

I think you should be preparing to buy a replacement keyboard. That 'crunchy' description sounds like the contents of the liquid are hardening already.

<Link Edited by Host>

Tea in Magic Keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.