Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alarm only rings when phone is unlocked

Starting a few days ago, the alarm on my iPhone will only go off if the phone is unlocked. If it is unlocked and I am actively using my phone, it goes off normally. However if the phone is locked (such as if I'm asleep) the alarm will not ring until I press the home button to wake the phone. This obviously causes huge problems and somewhat defeats the purpose of the alarm.

Details:

I'm on iOS 11, but this happened a while after I got 11, so I don't think it's necessarily tied to that. I received the update for iOS 11.1.1 today and am installing it now to see if that helps.

Phone is iPhone 6.

This has occurred with multiple alarms that I have set, and has consistently occurred for every alarm since it began a few days ago.

iPhone 6, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 5:08 AM

1 reply

Nov 14, 2017 7:56 PM in response to Wolfprints

Hi, Wolfprints,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I understand that your iPhone is not playing your alarm notification while your iPhone is locked. I'm happy too help!

Based on what you've described, I would first suggest force closing the Clock app: How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support . Then, restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support .

After the phone is back on, test to see if your alarm plays as expected. If not, the next thing I can recommend is to reinstall the iOS software, following the steps under the "Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again" section of If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support . This process will reinstall the iOS software, while making sure it has the most recent version available.

Reinstalling the iOS software does not remove data from the iPhone, but I would still encourage you to create a backup: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support .

Cheers!

Alarm only rings when phone is unlocked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.