Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable Automatic GPU Switching

Disable Automatic GPU Switching on MacBook Pro 2017

Hello,

I received my new MAC Book Pro 2017 yesterday and the first thing I noticed is the on-board graphics card from Intel. Although I understand the benefits of having to use the Intel Graphics card; I want to turn off the Intel Graphics card to use on a permanent basis the Radeon Pro graphics card instead. Could you please help?

Many thanks,

Trevor

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 4:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 3:20 AM

You may want to consider looking into the Terminal command pmset. You can read its manual page by typing man pmset in the Terminal app. It uses the same files as System Preferences to configure power related settings but offers more options and granularity along with various useful logging features/stats. It might be helpful especially if you ever notice your power settings have adjusted themselves...

For example, pmset -g will show you your current configuration. If gpuswitch is set to 0 you would use your dedicated graphics processor (not the integrated one on the CPU) all the time regardless of your power source.

Setting it is easily done with:

sudo pmset -a gpuswitch 0

and you can add other settings in there like the added security of deactivating ttyskeepawake and even wake on magic packet/wake on "modem ring" (network can send a well known data file to wake the computer up from sleep which almost certainly keeps a port open to listen for the magic packet at all times):

sudo pmset -a gpuswitch 0 womp 0 ttyskeepawake 0 networksoversleep 0

gpuswitch can be set to 0, 1, or 2 and im not at my computer but can assume:

• 2 is gpu switching both on and battery aka no dedicated graphics card ever
  • 1 is dedicated gpu only with charge cord connected/battery power would switch it to integrated
  • 0 is dedicated gpu on both ac and battery

(uses more energy..not sure how much more but pmset would tell you)

Some people think the average user isn't capable of using the Terminal but they can safely be ignored.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2017 3:20 AM in response to windowsuserinbox

You may want to consider looking into the Terminal command pmset. You can read its manual page by typing man pmset in the Terminal app. It uses the same files as System Preferences to configure power related settings but offers more options and granularity along with various useful logging features/stats. It might be helpful especially if you ever notice your power settings have adjusted themselves...

For example, pmset -g will show you your current configuration. If gpuswitch is set to 0 you would use your dedicated graphics processor (not the integrated one on the CPU) all the time regardless of your power source.

Setting it is easily done with:

sudo pmset -a gpuswitch 0

and you can add other settings in there like the added security of deactivating ttyskeepawake and even wake on magic packet/wake on "modem ring" (network can send a well known data file to wake the computer up from sleep which almost certainly keeps a port open to listen for the magic packet at all times):

sudo pmset -a gpuswitch 0 womp 0 ttyskeepawake 0 networksoversleep 0

gpuswitch can be set to 0, 1, or 2 and im not at my computer but can assume:

• 2 is gpu switching both on and battery aka no dedicated graphics card ever
  • 1 is dedicated gpu only with charge cord connected/battery power would switch it to integrated
  • 0 is dedicated gpu on both ac and battery

(uses more energy..not sure how much more but pmset would tell you)

Some people think the average user isn't capable of using the Terminal but they can safely be ignored.

Nov 15, 2017 11:36 PM in response to windowsuserinbox

I found it... Here http://osxdaily.com/2017/01/08/disable-gpu-switching-macbook-pro/

I have to say that I am rather disappointed that Sales Support and Online Support via the Chat system were not able to guide me towards this solution. Instead they told met that it was not possible to switch graphics cards even though I told them that I found it hard to believe that this would be the case. In addition they told me that Apple does not support switching graphics card as it would void the warranty.

I wish I could raise this problem with Apple to make sure that their staff are able to assist their clients since they are supposedly trained on their products.

Trevor

Disable Automatic GPU Switching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.