Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2017NOV14: How can I update to new IOS11, when it disables the use of hundreds of apps I purchased via AppStore and use daily? Currently using iPhone 7+ and iPad Pro 10.3.

Hello Apple Community: In good faith I have purchased hundreds of applications authorized by Apple for sale in the App Store, to be used on my Apple Devices, only to be informed with this latest release "IOS11" that these apps will no longer be available to use if I update my IOS. For years, the updated IOS has always been compatible with the hundreds of apps I previously purchased, now I am threatened with this foreboding phase "This app will not work with future versions of IOS. The developer of this app needs to update it to improve its compatibility." I have contacted a developer, and have offered to crowd_source funding to get the update for older apps, but it have not received a reply. This change Apple is making to ensure we always have the 'best-of-the-best' should never wipe out the use of honest purchases of previous software. I maintain my hardware to get the most out of the products offered, but never did I expect to do this at the cost of my software.

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, iOS 10.3.3, iPhone 7+

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 5:49 AM

3 replies

Nov 14, 2017 10:48 AM in response to Trixie_Pixie

Sorry to learn this, but as others have already told you, Apple gave app developers quite a bit of advanced time and knowledge to let them know that they needed to update their apps to all 64 bit compatible versions in anticipation of the day iOS 11 would be made available.

I, too have,approx. 3 dozen apps that have still have not been updated by the developers of those apps, either.

So, it's either continue to do a wait and see to see if these apps get updated or permanently orphaned and abondoned by the developer and stay with iOS 10.3.3.

Many lone app developers, probably did not make enough money or lost interest in maintaining their apps (or both), so they ended the development of their apps, at some point.

Some app developers may have went bankrupt or disbanded for all sorts of various reasons!

Software and its developers always seem to end development and/or disappear due to financial hardships.

Absolutely nothing you can do about all of that, at this point!

If a lot of your apps have not been updated within the last two years, or more, these apps have been abandoned by its developer.

Are you going to try a get every abandoned app on your iPad crowd-source funded for every developer to be able to update their apps?

What if some/many developers don’t want to be bother with continuing to develop their app/s?

Whaddya going to do then?

Apple does not control what apps developers do or fail to do.

OR

See if you can find newer, updated apps, (anything updated from 2015 or later timeframe) that does approx. the same things.

Try them out on iOS 10.3.3, first, then if you like the alternative apps enough to switch them, you’ll need to find a way to save/backup the data in the other, old app/s so, you can use this data in your more recent, chosen alternative apps.

There is absolutely no way around this!

If, in the end, you are left with a few abandoned, un-updated apps that you can’t find approximations for, then you will still have to make the decision if these last app “stragglers” are still important enough to you to stay with iOS 10, or “bite the bullet” and leave those last apps behind and upgrade your iPad to iOS 11.

Good Luck to You!

2017NOV14: How can I update to new IOS11, when it disables the use of hundreds of apps I purchased via AppStore and use daily? Currently using iPhone 7+ and iPad Pro 10.3.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.