Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI not playing sound

I'm connecting from my early 2012 Macbook Pro with a HDMI cable and MiniDP adapter. It used to play sound, I've been using it for years, but this morning my computer isn't recognizing the TV can play audio. The picture is over there, but not the sound. The System Preferences Sound page says "The selected device has no output controls".

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 6:05 AM

1 reply

Nov 16, 2017 4:54 PM in response to mgnmarks

Hey there, mgnmarks,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I understand that you are having trouble with an external display (your TV) playing audio over HDMI/Mini DisplayPort. I'm happy to help!

From what you've described, I would first try to reset the NVRAM. More information on what the NVRAM is, and how to reset it, can be found here: How to reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support .

I would also recommend trying another cable, another display/TV, and another adapter, if possible. You can also use the steps under the "If the display image is blank or unusable" section of Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac - Apple Support . Even though the title of the article does not exactly match your issue, the steps in the mentioned section could still be helpful for you.

Cheers!

HDMI not playing sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.