Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I change application icons anymore? I try the standard method of coping from a preview image and pasting over icon in get info window and nothing but a stupid sound cue. What gives?

Does this not work anymore?

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25383?locale=en_US

VERY frustrating

macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 7:43 AM

1 reply

Nov 14, 2017 7:56 AM in response to FauxRolex

FauxRolex wrote:

Does this not work anymore?

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25383?locale=en_US

VERY frustrating

Application icons are restricted by System Integrity Protection (SIP). I could include instructions which allow you to temporarily remove/reactivate SIP, but my post would probably be removed.

According to: About System Integrity Protection on your Mac - Apple Support

"System Integrity Protection is a security technology in OS X El Capitan and later that's designed to help prevent potentially malicious software from modifying protected files and folders on your Mac. System Integrity Protection restricts the root user account and limits the actions that the root user can perform on protected parts of the Mac operating system.

Before System Integrity Protection, the root user had no permission restrictions, so it could access any system folder or app on your Mac. Software obtained root-level access when you entered your administrator name and password to install the software. That allowed the software to modify or overwrite any system file or app.

System Integrity Protection includes protection for these parts of the system:

• /System
  • /usr
  • /bin
  • /sbin
  • Apps that are pre-installed with OS X"

User uploaded file

Why can't I change application icons anymore? I try the standard method of coping from a preview image and pasting over icon in get info window and nothing but a stupid sound cue. What gives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.