Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No text tone when phone is locked, iPhone 6, iOS 11.1.1

iPhone 6

iOS: 11.1.1

Hello, I'm not getting a text tone for one of my contacts when they text me (and my phone is locked). DND is not on, notifications are allowed, phone is not silenced, person is not blocked, I'm not connected to Bluetooth. My phone rings and the text tone chimes when I get texts for everyone else but one person. I've rebooted the phone too. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

iPhone 6, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 6:51 AM

6 replies

Nov 15, 2017 6:35 AM in response to socgrrrl

Hi socgrrrl,

From reading your post I can see that you are having an issue with receiving a text tone from one specific contact. I use different text tones to distinguish my important contacts from one another. You've done some great steps thus far. I'll be happy to help with this.

Not sure if you meant Do Not Disturb is not on for the entire phone, or for this contact. If you meant that the phone isn't on Do Not Disturb, then check to make sure that you don't have this specific contact set up under 'Hide Alerts' (previously Do Not Disturb in Messages)

Use Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch​

Hide alerts

To stop receiving message notifications, you can use Hide Alerts. Go to the conversation that you want to mute, tap User uploaded file, then turn on Hide Alerts and tap Done. When Hide Alerts is on, User uploaded file will appear next to the conversation. This stops notifications only for that message conversation, not your device. You’ll still receive all other messages and see notifications for them on your Lock screen.
You can also hide alerts for all your conversations by turning on Do Not Disturb. Go to Settings and tap Do Not Disturb or Scheduled to set up a specific timeframe. This stops all notifications on your device.
User uploaded file

If that setting was off, then I'd like to have you go into your Sounds settings (Settings > Sounds) and make sure you are able to play that specific text tone for your contact there.

1. Go into the Contacts app
  2. Locate this contact
  3. Change the text tone to a different one
  4. Test
If the issue still persists after that please:

1. Remove the contact
  2. Restart the iPhone
  3. Add the contact information back again
  4. Test
Let me know how these steps go. Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities.

Kind Regards.

Nov 15, 2017 7:02 AM in response to socgrrrl

Thanks for getting back to us so quickly. If you delete the contact info, it will not delete the message thread. It will still be there, just under the phone number instead of their name. To easily get their name back on the message thread:

1. You can go back into their specific message thread
  2. Tap on the 'i' within the blue circle in the upper right
  3. Tap on the arrow to the right
  4. Go to Create New Contact
  5. Add their name and any other additional info
  6. Tap Done in the upper right
Then their name will be back on the message thread and you will have their contact info back in the Contacts app.

Take care!

No text tone when phone is locked, iPhone 6, iOS 11.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.