Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did Apple change the settings in the control center for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi shut off

Why did Apple change the settings in the control center for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi shut off.

iOS 11 now requires you to go to settings to actually shut off your Wi-Fi signal and your Bluetooth signal.

I am thinking about very seriously switching to an android device I’m getting very tired of Apple forcing me and it users to use only the features they want to use.

Shutting off your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth signals when you are not using them is safer and more secure. Now they’ve made it more difficult to do that.

And with this new face recognition option you no longer have the option of the fingerprint or just using a code again forcing its consumers to use that feature without giving us the option.

All in all Apple is creating series doubts in my mind whether I should continue to use their products.

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 6:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 6:42 AM

If you think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence then you are always free to try it. But you are misinformed about a couple of things. You are not forced to use Face ID. As with Touch ID the option to use a passcode remains and is in fact required during the initial setup. Secondly, the change in how Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are enabled/disabled stemmed from numerous customer complaints. When either technology is completely disabled a number of system wide services internal to the device were also disabled and users were angry that those services no longer worked. So a compromise was chosen in which certain functions of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi remain active when using the control center to turn them off. You still have the ability to completely disable both, as you noted. With iOS 11.2 a new warning alert will be added to clarify what’s going on when you use the control center to turn off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.

Finally, if you want to lobby Apple to comply with your desires then submit feedback. If enough people with your point of view send feedback then Apple may reconsider. There’s always a customer oriented purpose in what they do.

Feedback - iPhone - Apple

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2017 6:42 AM in response to Macmanjv

If you think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence then you are always free to try it. But you are misinformed about a couple of things. You are not forced to use Face ID. As with Touch ID the option to use a passcode remains and is in fact required during the initial setup. Secondly, the change in how Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are enabled/disabled stemmed from numerous customer complaints. When either technology is completely disabled a number of system wide services internal to the device were also disabled and users were angry that those services no longer worked. So a compromise was chosen in which certain functions of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi remain active when using the control center to turn them off. You still have the ability to completely disable both, as you noted. With iOS 11.2 a new warning alert will be added to clarify what’s going on when you use the control center to turn off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.

Finally, if you want to lobby Apple to comply with your desires then submit feedback. If enough people with your point of view send feedback then Apple may reconsider. There’s always a customer oriented purpose in what they do.

Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Nov 14, 2017 6:30 AM in response to Macmanjv

There are many posts on this and if you read through them, you'll see this is actually a smart move on Apple's part. They didn't take anything away (you can still turn off Wifi/Bluetooth, though there's rarely why it's ever a good idea to do so) and they gave people an option to easily disconnect from a specific device/network without having to turn the radios on again. Your assertion that it is safer and more secure with them off is baseless. You can not be hacked by anyone if your radios are on and having them on doesn't make your battery run down faster.

I recommend you read through some of the threads on this. You'll see a lot of people whining about this because they are either uninformed or change adverse, but this is not a bad change.

Nov 14, 2017 10:04 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Your whole reply is absolutely incorrect there is no advantage to broadcasting your Bluetooth or wireless opening that’s a fact they did it because they want to use location services to their advantage. I.e. Apps using location services and so on.

When your Wi-Fi and or your Bluetooth are actually on they are continuously searching for networks and they will ask you unless you disable the feature if you want to connect and it does use your battery. And if switching between WiFi are Bluetooth devices are you had to do is disable the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth or the device you were connected to and reconnect to another device.

There was no decision or choice to make they simply could’ve added a feature in the settings where you could choose that the control center either disable or disconnected this is not being user-friendly.

And quite frankly Apple is going down the tubes that doesn’t mean androids any better but Apple has **** on themselves that’s the reality.

Nov 14, 2017 10:09 AM in response to lkrupp

Nothing in your reply is actually true Apple has basically **** on themselves. Using any features on your phone whether it’s apps and so on but especially wireless and Bluetooth signals broadcasting looking for connections and devices certainly draining my battery and yours.

In the control center options are some user-friendly in the really good ones are no longer user-friendly. When I’m in a hurry walking into a meeting or something like that and I want to shut my Bluetooth and my Wi-Fi off I have to actually go into my settings and that’s not user-friendly as it used to be.

And the passcode thing no you have to use face recognition I know it’s part of the initial set up using a passcode but that’s only in the case I can’t use face recognition don’t be blurting out things that aren’t true that’s the truth.

The iPhone 6 seven and now the eighth are all the same phone yeah a little faster processor big deal the only major difference really was the camera.

Nov 14, 2017 10:17 AM in response to Macmanjv

LOL that Apples going down the tubes. That's why they sold over 50,000,000 iPhone X in the first week. You can believe what you want. I really don't care to be honest. If you don't like this, you can switch to another phone for all any of us care. Uou are welcome to provide feedback to Apple as a link was provided above. It is clear however, you don't have a clue about what you're referring to. That's OK. It's surprising to see how many of you out there are this clueless about Wifi and Bluetooth.

Why did Apple change the settings in the control center for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi shut off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.