Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set up keyboard shortcut to move messages in Mail

After trying unsuccessfully to find a shortcut to move messages from my inbox into other mailboxes in Mail, I decided to set up my own shortcut by going to System Preferences - Keyboard - Shortcuts - App Shortcuts - Mail then setting up 'Move to' with Command-M. But this does not seem to work. What have I done wrong?

Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 7:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 8:07 PM

Hi guy toronto,

I understand that you are trying to configure a keyboard shortcut for Mail to move a message to a specific folder, but nothing happens when you press this shortcut. I'm happy to provide some help for this issue.

Check out the information provided in the following article:

macOS Sierra: Create keyboard shortcuts for apps

In the Menu Title field, type the menu command for which you want to create a shortcut, exactly as the command appears in the app, including the > character (type ->), ellipses (type three periods without spaces or press Option-;), or other punctuation.

For example, to set a shortcut for the default ligature command in TextEdit, you would type Format->Font->Ligatures->Use Default. To set a shortcut for the Export to PDF command, you would type File->Export to PDF… in the field.

Because this command is not completed until a folder has been chosen, you need to finish the path for the command. For example if you have a folder labeled "Archive" that you would like to move these messages to, you would make the shortcut "Message->Move to->Archive". It's important to be sure that you include the entire path and that there are no spaces between each step.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2017 8:07 PM in response to guy toronto

Hi guy toronto,

I understand that you are trying to configure a keyboard shortcut for Mail to move a message to a specific folder, but nothing happens when you press this shortcut. I'm happy to provide some help for this issue.

Check out the information provided in the following article:

macOS Sierra: Create keyboard shortcuts for apps

In the Menu Title field, type the menu command for which you want to create a shortcut, exactly as the command appears in the app, including the > character (type ->), ellipses (type three periods without spaces or press Option-;), or other punctuation.

For example, to set a shortcut for the default ligature command in TextEdit, you would type Format->Font->Ligatures->Use Default. To set a shortcut for the Export to PDF command, you would type File->Export to PDF… in the field.

Because this command is not completed until a folder has been chosen, you need to finish the path for the command. For example if you have a folder labeled "Archive" that you would like to move these messages to, you would make the shortcut "Message->Move to->Archive". It's important to be sure that you include the entire path and that there are no spaces between each step.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Nov 15, 2017 8:10 PM in response to i_rina

Hi i_rina,

Thanks for the information. I am actually just trying to trigger the 'Move to' command with a short-cut, with the hope of getting the drop-down menu of all my mailboxes. I would then use the cursor to get to the mailbox I require. As such, I cannot specify the destination. Not sure if this makes what I am trying to achieve unworkable.

Set up keyboard shortcut to move messages in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.