Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Set up keyboard shortcut to move messages in Mail

After trying unsuccessfully to find a shortcut to move messages from my inbox into other mailboxes in Mail, I decided to set up my own shortcut by going to System Preferences - Keyboard - Shortcuts - App Shortcuts - Mail then setting up 'Move to' with Command-M. But this does not seem to work. What have I done wrong?

Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 15, 2017 8:07 PM in response to guy toronto In response to guy toronto

Hi guy toronto,

I understand that you are trying to configure a keyboard shortcut for Mail to move a message to a specific folder, but nothing happens when you press this shortcut. I'm happy to provide some help for this issue.

Check out the information provided in the following article:

macOS Sierra: Create keyboard shortcuts for apps

In the Menu Title field, type the menu command for which you want to create a shortcut, exactly as the command appears in the app, including the > character (type ->), ellipses (type three periods without spaces or press Option-;), or other punctuation.

For example, to set a shortcut for the default ligature command in TextEdit, you would type Format->Font->Ligatures->Use Default. To set a shortcut for the Export to PDF command, you would type File->Export to PDF… in the field.

Because this command is not completed until a folder has been chosen, you need to finish the path for the command. For example if you have a folder labeled "Archive" that you would like to move these messages to, you would make the shortcut "Message->Move to->Archive". It's important to be sure that you include the entire path and that there are no spaces between each step.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 15, 2017 8:07 PM in response to guy toronto In response to guy toronto

Hi guy toronto,

I understand that you are trying to configure a keyboard shortcut for Mail to move a message to a specific folder, but nothing happens when you press this shortcut. I'm happy to provide some help for this issue.

Check out the information provided in the following article:

macOS Sierra: Create keyboard shortcuts for apps

In the Menu Title field, type the menu command for which you want to create a shortcut, exactly as the command appears in the app, including the > character (type ->), ellipses (type three periods without spaces or press Option-;), or other punctuation.

For example, to set a shortcut for the default ligature command in TextEdit, you would type Format->Font->Ligatures->Use Default. To set a shortcut for the Export to PDF command, you would type File->Export to PDF… in the field.

Because this command is not completed until a folder has been chosen, you need to finish the path for the command. For example if you have a folder labeled "Archive" that you would like to move these messages to, you would make the shortcut "Message->Move to->Archive". It's important to be sure that you include the entire path and that there are no spaces between each step.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Nov 15, 2017 8:07 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Nov 15, 2017 8:10 PM in response to i_rina In response to i_rina

Hi i_rina,

Thanks for the information. I am actually just trying to trigger the 'Move to' command with a short-cut, with the hope of getting the drop-down menu of all my mailboxes. I would then use the cursor to get to the mailbox I require. As such, I cannot specify the destination. Not sure if this makes what I am trying to achieve unworkable.

Nov 15, 2017 8:10 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: guy toronto

Question: Set up keyboard shortcut to move messages in Mail