Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I run Sierra, not High Sierra, on a brand new MacBook Pro?

I'm interested in buying a new, fully loaded 15" MacBook Pro, but I do NOT want to run High Sierra. I do film composing and audio production, and my primary software is Pro Tools, which doesn't run on High Sierra, yet. I need the machine now for mobile work, so it needs to run Sierra. I have access to a copy of Sierra, but I need to know if it will run smoothly on a new MacBook. Better yet, it would be great if Apple would sell me a new MacBook Pro with Sierra loaded, but knowing Apple I'll bet they won't do that... Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks very much!

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 7:53 AM

14 replies

Nov 14, 2017 8:48 AM in response to analogjeff

analogjeff wrote:

Thanks very much for the reply, but this machine doesn't offer the 3.1 processing power of the latest machines or a 2T SSD option. Given the MacBook Pro is limited to 16G RAM, even the newest, it's already significantly underpowered for audio production, and, thus, I'd really like to buy the best processor available... especially given the amount of money involved. I'm ready to spend over $4000 on this purchase, but it seems it won't work. The question now, I guess, is whether I'm willing to spend a little over $3000 to buy something that at the outset is out-of-date for the work I need it to do... Dang! No work-arounds on the newest machines??

Thanks again!

If a MacBook Pro won't meet your requirements there are "work-arounds", get a more powerful computer that does meet your processing requirements. There are several choices, Mac - Apple

Nov 14, 2017 8:38 AM in response to tjk

Thanks very much for the reply, but this machine doesn't offer the 3.1 processing power of the latest machines or a 2T SSD option. Given the MacBook Pro is limited to 16G RAM, even the newest, it's already significantly underpowered for audio production, and, thus, I'd really like to buy the best processor available... especially given the amount of money involved. I'm ready to spend over $4000 on this purchase, but it seems it won't work. The question now, I guess, is whether I'm willing to spend a little over $3000 to buy something that at the outset is out-of-date for the work I need it to do... Dang! No work-arounds on the newest machines??

Thanks again!

Nov 14, 2017 9:59 AM in response to tjk

Thanks very much... here's another question you may be able to answer... How is it that the machine at B&H is, presumably, the same machine as those Apple is selling, but if Apple's come loaded with High Sierra they can't run Sierra, while these machines at B&H can do that? My small mind is experiencing some logical confusion over that! Especially because I think I can get along fine with a 1T internal SSD, instead of a 2T SSD, and the 2T SSD costs an additional $800! Regardless of what internal drive I run, I'll need a 2T SSD external drive for my sounds libraries, and that'll probably be around $750...

😕

thanks again and all best...

Edit update... I just found a 3.1 i7 machine with a 1T SSD at B&H, and it's $3349, which is what I was expecting to pay, etc., so I think this is probably the thing to do... thanks tjk for your help... still wondering about the logically confusing situation described above, though... 😁

Nov 14, 2017 10:08 AM in response to analogjeff

I actually bought a machine in this same situation when Yosemite had come out but I still wanted Mavericks. In that case, I was able to install Mavericks, but because of APFS, this is a whole different situation. I don't think anyone knows for sure, at least until someone tries it and posts about it. It may be that there is new firmware involved with APFS which cannot be downgraded. I don't know. If you want to go through the effort, I suppose you could buy a new one from Apple, try downgrading it, and if it doesn't work, reinstall HS (or maybe you won't even have to if it doesn't let you do anything in the first place) and return the machine, leaving you where you started.

Again, I would act fast, as if it doesn't work, and B&H doesn't work out, you can try finding another Authorized Reseller with "old" stock, but if you can't, then you're out of luck.

Nov 14, 2017 11:23 AM in response to tjk

Much thanks for all your help tjk, and the lead to B&H!! Going ahead there and buying the 3.1 with a 1T SSD and loaded with Sierra... It's even $50 less than the same machine, with High Sierra, that won't work for me at the Apple site. For anyone else out there in the same spot, B&H has 12 of these right now...

So appreciative to have been able to get such quick and helpful responses here... 🙂

Nov 14, 2017 4:03 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks Grant... Yes, that's right. Up until the mid-2017's, the new MBPs will run Sierra, but what's happening is that it's becoming a bit harder to find those machines (Apple doesn't sell them now), and the newest machines are High Sierra only, at least as I understand it. Fortunately for me, B&H has a bunch of the mid-2017 ones that run with Sierra, and they come loaded that way, so I bought one of those this afternoon. No work-arounds or hoop jumping required, which is sweet...

All best...

Can I run Sierra, not High Sierra, on a brand new MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.